Did you know...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

I've said this, but people have ignored it here.

Did you know that you can print 3D objects at home? You can print in plastics, and metals. The technology, depending on what material you want to use, is relatively pricey at this point(but not out of reach of the average person), but getting cheaper and cheaper every day.

3D printers are going to be in every home, one of the biggest breakthroughs in technology. So, does knowing that someone could print off a gun at home change the way you think about going about gun violence? If we were able to remove all guns from the USA, someone could print one off to use on their shooting spree.

Let's be honest, do we really think that, with this technology, we have any chance of keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys?

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaxson, Jaxson that's no problem! They'll just make 3D printers illegal...of course they'll wait until a 3D gun is used to kill school children. Hey, guess what, HP will then replace the NRA as the devil. Printer control laws are  meant to be because printer control laws = PC laws They will be politically correct.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, so I just recently learned of 3-D printing technology.  While I understand that a gun could be printed, would it actually be functional?

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can print anything from plastics to titanium. All of a gun except the barrel, chamber, and a few other little parts can be made out of plastics. The costs to print metal are high now, it would probably be about 3 times the cost of purchasing a similar gun, but those costs have been dropping dramatically.

3D printing is going to be everywhere. Imagine being able to print your own decorations, paintings, furniture, dishes, heck they are even working on printing food(no kidding).

2. profile image0

The silence is telling...

Kind of awkward to realize that getting rid of guns is impossible, and would be more futile to try every day.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually Jaxson...

And remember I really am quite fond of you.

I don't think it's the subject matter.  I just don't think anyone wants to play with you any more.

You don't want a discussion anyway.  You want to prove that you are right.  Those who agree with you already believe you are right.  You have yet to convince anyone that I can see on the forums who disagreed with you over to your side.

Discussion is fun or enlightening or even soul-cleansing...or whatever the purpose may be.  But both parties are supposed to get something out of it.  The only person getting anything out of conversations with you lately is you.

No one wants to have that kind of one-sided conversation.

So just go ahead and assume you've proved your point.  Since that seems to have been your goal you can walk away happy.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Melissa, I'm always happy to have a conversation, and you're right that a one-sided conversation isn't fun. But I discuss with people. I reply to what they say. I provide substantiation for my claims and defend my arguments with reasoning, statistics, studies, etc.

When people reply to me with reasoning, statistics, studies, etc, I respond. Sometimes I challenge things, and sometimes my viewpoint changes.

That doesn't happen much here though. I'm sorry, I just don't put up with unsubstantiated claims and straw man arguments. If you think I'm just here to prove I'm right, then I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Every other forum I participate in, I find people who challenge my arguments. That even happens occasionally here.

But mostly it's straw man arguments, disrespect, and one-sided arguments. For instance, I might ask a question, someone else comes back with their own questions, I take the time to answer theirs, and they then refuse to answer mine. Or, I say X, and someone claims I said Y and attacks that argument instead of what I actually said.

But hey, if peoples' feelings get hurt by having their arguments challenged, that's not really my problem. Allowing your ideas to be challenged is the best way to grow.

3. profile image0

Also, Melissa, threads like this prove the opposite of what you are saying. A lot of people here simply aren't interested in the truth. For someone who wants to get rid of guns, addressing the fact that people can make them at home challenges their entire viewpoint, so it's easier to ignore.

When I showed quite clearly that Bain Capital did great things for the companies it invested in(net), nobody who bought into the media's 'Corporate Vulture' concept replied, because they didn't want their entire viewpoint that Bain and Romney were bad people challenged.

When I showed that GE paid an average of 20% taxes over the years, none of the people who had been criticizing GE for taking advantage of loopholes replied.

When I show someone who thinks the rich pay almost no federal taxes while the poor and middle-class pay 30-35% that the wealthy actually pay a much higher percentage than anyone else, my response is almost always ignored.

There are many, many examples.

It's not me, I'm 100% willing to change my viewpoint if better information than I have comes along, and I actually do it quite often. Just not here, because that doesn't happen often here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)