jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (21 posts)

Smart Shoes - New Legislative Privacy Challenge Eminent

1. GA Anderson profile image82
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

OMG! Big Brother's NSA is dancing with glee!

"We know where you  arrreeee...."

Worried about your habits and location data? Don't want the government prying into your electronic life?

No worries, Congress will surely pass the needed legislation to deal with this latest technology. And the NSA promises not to eaves drop on your shoes.

I almost drove off the road when I heard this...

A new running shoe, (or insole), has hit the market. It communicates with the Google Maps via an app, Bluetooth and your smart phone.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9138388_f248.jpg

I will link to the full story below, but here are the basic details;
    Using the app and  Google Maps, just plot your destination. The app then communicates with your new shoes. Plotting your location as precisely as a GPS unit, and the shoes even tell you when to turn or go straight!

Time to turn left? Left shoe vibrates. And the right one vibrates for right turns of course. And just to be sure you know what to do... the shoes vibrate under your big toes when you are supposed to keep straight.

Here is the full story Lechal vibrating smart shoes use bluetooth
    *ps. the shoes did have a higher purpose initially - the original design was intended to help the visually impaired get around more confidently.

Great huh? Except that all this Bluetooth/smartphone communicating is just as traceable, (and data storable), as any of your other electronic communications that NSA swears they are not actually monitoring or saving.

On the plus side, I hear a smart young entrepreneur is selling matching tin-foil hats for the really paranoid.

Wanna bet what their target market demographics are...? Are you going to rush out and get your pair?

pss. I wonder if you will have to take these of at the airport, or will they electronically shake hands with the security systems? Hmm...

Double Hmm... I wonder if they can be hacked to become a listening device too? (like your phones and computers can)

GA

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Uhhh, sorry but I think I will pass on this product even though I love gadgets.

GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Me too, but think of the "cool" factor. Hmm...

GA

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not for me, thanks.  I can read a map just fine, thank you, and even have a hand held GPS I can carry when walking if needed.  I don't need my shoes vibrating right, left and straight to tell me where to go.

Sometimes I get really concerned about the dumbing down of the American citizenry.

1. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

One has to wonder if a faulty shoe could result in someone walking in a small circle until they dropped.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! Good one - except... is it so crazy to think there just might be someone out there that would....

GA

1. wilderness profile image94

I remember a news article that someone followed their GPS when it said "turn right" - onto the RR tracks.  The car was a total loss, of course, but think there were no injuries.  And British truck drivers have a consistent problem as their gps keeps sending them down streets too narrow for the truck - apparently there are trucks all over Britain jammed between two buildings on a one lane road.

Yeah, some will walk in a circle until dead.

2. wilderness profile image94

LOL  A techie buff right to the sorry end, walking in circles until they drop!  big_smile

2. GA Anderson profile image82

Maps? You mean the kind you hold in your hand, like the ones in the museums?

On the other hand, look how lucky we are. We have seen the changes and can appreciate technology's progress. The young folks that will be buying these shoes are from a generation that just takes it for granted.

(at least that's what I tell my grown kids)

GA

Yup - a paper map.  Amazing things, they are - I just bought a 2014 Rand McNally atlas at a yard sale for $2.

They're also from a generation that can't find their way out of a grocery store unless someone takes them by the hand and walks them to the door.

I repeat, the dumbing down of Americans is rather sad.

1. profile image0

And paper maps never lose the gps signal.

Well, at least mine never did!  Doesn't have all the POI's - wonder if the shoes will point you to the nearest bar?  Between that and home, they might be great for drunks...

1. profile image0

Might be a heck of a market for walking drunks, I never considered that.

Sure, I can see it now. A drunk hugging a lamp pot going round and round and round and...

GA

lol

2. bBerean profile image61

Providing he manages to keep them on the correct feet.

Now THAT might be a problem.  Put them on before he leaves home and tie a triple knot so the drunk can't get them off?

3. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How is this at all different to a smartphone?

Uhhh... a phone goes to your ear... shoes on the feet.... you expect communications from your phone.... do you expect it from your feet.... lots of discussion about telephone, email, and internet monitoring by the NSA.... now the addition of monitoring your shoes....

It was humor pyscheskinner...

Now, repeat after me; " a phone goes to your ear... shoes on the feet.... you expect communications from your phone...."

GA

4. Sed-me profile image83
      Sed-meposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They're not attractive. That's what really matters.

1. bBerean profile image61

Can they be programmed to perhaps provide a shock when the wearer attempts to go places predetermined to be off limits?  How can we expand this technology?

working