jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When you fly, will you opt out of the full body x-ray scan? If so, why? If not

1. frogyfish profile image78
    frogyfishposted 7 years ago

When you fly, will you opt out of the full body x-ray scan?  If so, why?  If not, why?

This goes beyond the day-before-Thanksgiving-boycotting.  It seems to be being put in place for the long term.  And many of our 'senior politicians' don't have to
    go through it. 
    Repeated radiation exposure is known to be cancer causative. Is that going to be covered under the great New Health Plan too?

2. Earl S. Wynn profile image85
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

I thought about asking this one too, and for the same reasons. If I choose to fly again (I've been avoiding it whenever I can) I'll be opting out, and you bet your pretty floral bonnet I'll be making a scene the second they start to pat me down. Maybe if I start moaning really sexually, it'll make them uncomfortable enough to think twice. My reasons why are twofold-- I don't feel that staring at my privates (or groping them) keeps us safe from terrorists. I feel that we're dosed with enough radiation as it is with all the electronics we work with everyday, and I think the current regime's solutions for travel safety are Stalinist at best. What's next? What other rights should we prepare to have stripped from us?

3. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

I no longer fly commercial. I fly private. There are numerous privately owned companies that operate out of small airports that can take you anywhere and oftentimes for less money. And there is no screening and bag checks. Usually, considering the hideous lines in airports and the lengthy waits, the private flight is faster. So if you don't mind flying in a Cessna 172 or a twin engine Cessna 421, etc., you can lessen your aggravation by 100%. The flight isn't as smooth as the planes can get bounced around in turbulence.

4. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't fly if I had to get a douse of radiation or get felt-up in the process. Since when does flying come in a package with radiation and/or molestation?
      As customers we have the right to chose at least.

5. Ms Dee profile image87
    Ms Deeposted 7 years ago

Hi forgyfish! I posted two hubs yesterday, one each on scanners and pat downs. I canceled my planned flight itinerary for next week. Why? 1) The skin cancer risk I explain in my scanner hub because my father had it an I'm a prime candidate for it. 2) The emotional risk I explain in my pat-down hub because of memories from a sexual attack experience.  I realize flying involves risks. Now, I don't want to take all these risks and I'm hoping the airport security measures mature over time to where I can again.

Closed to reply