jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Has WikiLeaks hurtful or helpful? Please explain your for taking one position or

1. cindybarrymore profile image60
    cindybarrymoreposted 7 years ago

Has WikiLeaks hurtful or helpful? Please explain your for taking one position or the other.

2. Abecedarian profile image76
    Abecedarianposted 7 years ago

I beleive it's as hurtful to the American people as it was for George Bush to leak information on a CIA operative.  Releasing information on sensitive items is nothing more than treason. If those items were available through Open Records Requests, then there wouldn't be a problem, but there is a reason those documents were private. I believe what everyone is overlooking in this WikiLeaks case, this individual first and foremost violated the law by "breaking in" to private information. He didn't get permission to look at it, let a lone release it.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it was very helpful. though some of the leaks were perhaps not all that smart, as a whole it let the governments know that there are people watching what they do that they can't control.

4. cindybarrymore profile image60
    cindybarrymoreposted 7 years ago

FORGIVE ME YOU GUYS. I was a bit tired when I wrote this question. I meant to type: Has WikiLeaks BEEN hurtful or helpful? Please explain your REASON for taking one position or the other.

5. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Most definitely hurtful....any person or organization who releases classified government information to the public is potentially putting someone in harm's way.  It is not for the public to decide what should or should not be classified thus these documents are not for their eyes.  The back channels of our government must have a confidentiality applied or true diplomacy and negogiations cannot be achieved.  Wikileaks can attempt to hide behind "freedom of speech" but I do not think the argument holds water. In the USA, we do have freedom of speech but we also have accountability for our actions.  The release of classified materials is against the law and for that reason, Wikileaks and all associated with it should be punished.  WB

working