jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Uprising in Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen. Is it a new wave of democracy sweeping th

1. Goodpal profile image91
    Goodpalposted 7 years ago

Uprising in Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen. Is it a new wave of democracy sweeping the region?

Is there something bigger behind people's unrest in these countries?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4558932_f260.jpg

2. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 7 years ago

I think people in Egypt are just tired of being subjugated under Mubaruks propped up regime.  We would be too, if some monkey was ruling the country with an iron fist.  He is supported by the West as he does not care for right or wrong just does what he is told to do.  The moment he says no to the West that would be the end of him like Sadam in Iraq.  Remember USA pumps 1.2Billion dollars per year into his pockets and has done for the last 30yrs.  No democracy in the country yet you don't hear the West asking him to step down.

3. Syed Neaz Ahmad profile image60
    Syed Neaz Ahmadposted 7 years ago

As the saying goes "You can fool some people some of the time .......". That's what these self-appointed presidents, kings, brother president, sheikhs & rulers have done over the last several decades 9in recent history). However, these rulers are so detached from those they rule that they are hardly aware of what goes on at the grass-root level.

Mubarak was detached and was kep detached. The West used him for their interest. Mubarak used the West for his own selfish interest - no, not for Egypt.

Others have done and are doing the same. Circumstances may differ slightly from ountry to country but it's the same 'viurus' - the virus of re-awakening. The Arab streets are alive.

It's possible that  'forces that are' have had something to do with whatever hapened but I feel it will be difficult to control the tide. People want to be counted. They want to contribute and share the opportunities.

Kings & queens are for story books - no more in politics. The world - aided by revolution in technology - is in fast forward mode. Most of thes rulers are old - really very old - most terminally ill. How long would they want to remain in power when hey have no control on their own limbs?

4. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 6 years ago

Being a poor soldier when Mubarak started life and now being richer than the richest man in the world, I tend to think that he and his family just took too much and gave too little to his population. 

Being hungry and poor, therefore no prospects to marry well tends to upset us men and eventually, we tend to lash out.  Don't you think;)

It must be tough to juggle the catalog of selfish interests against the interests of the hungry and poor.

Please note the sarcasm. I don't want anymore emails about how non-committal I am.

working