jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Which would you rather lose, your freedom, your security, or both?

1. buffalo49 profile image58
    buffalo49posted 6 years ago

Which would you rather lose, your freedom, your security, or both?

The Homeland Security Act infringes on constitutionally-guaranteed rights and freedoms in the name of security. The House failed to pass by 2/3 majority yesterday. Now they're bringing it up for a vote again tomorrow to be decided by a simple majority. Tell your congressman how you feel about that.  today.

2. JD Barlow profile image60
    JD Barlowposted 6 years ago

There is no security with freedom, but you have no freedom with security for the ultimate in security is slavery.... so I would rather live free than secure...

3. amillar profile image83
    amillarposted 6 years ago

I would rather lose the fear of losing either, or both.  "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

4. Harvey Stelman profile image61
    Harvey Stelmanposted 6 years ago

Neither, one will lead to the other, that's the way it has always been. H

5. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

Security is simply a state of mind...we all think we are secure for particular reasons. People tell me...oh you work for a large corporation, your job is secure...there are many misconceptions in that regard about security.  In fact, none of us are really secure...there is always something out there that we are not protected against.  The biggest sham or scheme is the world is to sell security.  Freedom, on the other hand, is a far different story. My freedom is worth fighting for...my freedom is worth my life.  My freedom is everything that makes life worth living. My freedom is what says that no other man owns my soul.  If I have to lose with a fight...it will most definitely be security that goes first. WB

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

security. because freedom is what makes a country great whereas security is something that you can make yourself. no one is secure but by not worrying about all the propoganda that the governments and media throw at us, you can get the sense of security back.

7. AlexDrinkH2O profile image80
    AlexDrinkH2Oposted 4 years ago

This question addresses what Rousseau called the "social contract," i.e., the line between individual freedom and government control.  Total lack of government leads to anarchy while too much government leads to tyranny.  I subscribe to what Thomas Jefferson said - "That which governs least governs best."

working