jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you subscribe to the 100 mile diet?

1. Phil Plasma profile image77
    Phil Plasmaposted 6 years ago

Do you subscribe to the 100 mile diet?

The 100 mile diet is any food that is produced within 100 miles of where you live.  Do you make any efforts to eat only such food?

2. mejje profile image61
    mejjeposted 6 years ago

no i don't, choice food is just nearby

3. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

No.  I have never thought about limiting myself in that way. 

Farmers markets are great places to buy some foods.  Certain foods are superior in quality if you buy from local sources.  Actually most fresh fruits and vegetables don't travel easily.  Tomatoes are an excellent example.  The ones shipped over the world are too watery to taste good.  The local tomatoes have more "meat" and taste great.  The best tomatoes come from your back yard.  Still, something like bananas would be hard to buy locally.

4. MyMastiffPuppies profile image78
    MyMastiffPuppiesposted 6 years ago

That's a great idea, I had not heard of the 100 mile diet before. When I was a kid, it was probably more possible than it is today. We live in a rural area and people used to grow almost every thing they ate in their gardens, orchards and even their beef, pork and poultry, it is not the case anymore.

Not sure if it is because more people work outside of the home than before or if the cost and convenience of buying food became more prevalent.

5. Dardia profile image75
    Dardiaposted 6 years ago

We try to but it isn't always easy to do. We are searching for local farmers to purchase from since the grocery stores don't subscribe to the 100 mile diet.

working