Should Turkey pay for the 1915 genocide of the Armenians by the Ottoman Empire?

1. jtmiddleton profile image70
    jtmiddletonposted 6 years ago

Should Turkey pay for the 1915 genocide of the Armenians by the Ottoman Empire?

In 1915, the Armenian people were the victims of an attempted genocide by the now defunct Ottoman Empire.  Turkey, not then yet it's own independent country, is being asked to pay for those heinous crimes.  Do you think it should?

2. girlgonestrong profile image59
    girlgonestrongposted 6 years ago

I would say No.  Turkey is not the Ottoman Empire.  I don't think you could ask Italy to pay for the fact that 1/3 of the population of the Roman Empire were slaves either.  There's a statute of limitations on these types of things.

Probably why they're not going back and giving 40 Acres and a Mule to all the black people who didn't get one when it was promised by the US Government either.

3. Lions Den Media profile image60
    Lions Den Mediaposted 5 years ago

No. It is rather absurd to demand payment from people that have nothing to do with the issue. Now I must condemn slavery and the Jewish Holocaust however there are important lessons that history teaches from these tragedies. For instance blacks and/or Indians demanding reperations because relatives they don't know were enslaved or kicked off their land by people who are long since dead. People need to realize that when they rollover there are consequences. If people allowed themselves to be victims, without fighting back then you cannot expect others to pay. It is like the Jews in Germany during WWII. The Jews knew the Germans were evil, but they thought if they just didn't make any problems then they would be spared. Many  The bottom line is that people have to defend themselves and standup for their rights and fight if necessary and let the chips fall where they may. And no one can expect financial gain from the past suffering of others.

working