jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Germany leave the Euro?

1. Ari Lamstein profile image80
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

Should Germany leave the Euro?

There's all this talk about Greece leaving (being "kicked out") of the Euro because of their financial difficulties.  But it seems to me that Germany is being asked to make a large financial sacrifice on behalf of poorer member states (e.g., pay for them to not default on their debt).

My question is this: Is it in Germany's best interest to do this?  Why is it not in Germany's best interest to simply leave the Euro and go back to the Deutsche Mark?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6706832_f260.jpg

2. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 5 years ago

Germany has a strong interest in a financially-stable Europe since its exports of goods and services amount to well over 40% of its GDP.  If it were to exit the Euro and leave the rest of Europe in financial distress, its exports would suffer and the German economy would be hurt.  Germany would be better off teaching its neighbors how to better manage their budgets and grow their economies, which would help them buy more of Germany's products.  But Germany cannot simply dictate its demands to its neighbors.  Rather, it needs to respect their sovereignty and should be willing to accept compromises in the pace of the needed reforms.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

What an amazingly complex question!!

I agree that a stable Europe is vital to German economic interests, but a nation that doesn't control its own currency isn't a sovereign nation.

4. P. Kaevas profile image60
    P. Kaevasposted 5 years ago

They should have an northern Europe valuta.. Including: Germany, France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Austria and perhaps Great britain and the Scandanavians

working