In the last few years I have seen many diagnosis of mental illnesses is the caus

1. Sundaymoments profile image75
    Sundaymomentsposted 5 years ago

In the last few years I have seen many diagnosis of mental illnesses is the cause the economy?

In the last few years I have seen many diagnosis of mental illnesses. I am wondering is this because of the economy or is it because many people have realized that they can get free hand outs by playing to be ill so therefore they are working the system to benefit them? What is your thoughts about this???

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I think it is neither, for the most part anyway. I think that we have finally realized that mental illness are real and doctors are finally diagnosing them. Most mental illness do not qualify for assistance anyway. On top of finally starting to accept mental illness, here in USA we have a lot of people coming home from the war. Unlike past generations who pretended to be fine even while suffering this generation is getting help for PTSD. It is very hard to collect disability for a mental illness. WHile I have known a few people who have and even one who shouldn't have but did, for the most part most people don't want to collect a check based on mental illness. Most people want to feel better.

3. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 5 years ago

I have to say that the economy here hasn't helped anyone's mental health.  As you know there are many, many people who have lost everything which trickles down to their self worth.  Some people don't know how to pull themselves back up by the bootstrings and speaking from experience it is not easy.  Sometimes people just need a little nudge in the right direction.  As far as getting 'free handouts', hell, tell me how.  lol  Great question.

working