jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should politicians and world leaders keep information from the public to protect

1. RichusFridum profile image59
    RichusFridumposted 5 years ago

Should politicians and world leaders keep information from the public to protect them?

Parents often hide things from their children tho shelter or protect them. Is it right for government to use the same tactic with the people?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

It's an abrogation of the role of the state in a democratic society, but then no national society is entirely democratic. There are times information cannot be made public, if only to avoid it getting into the hands of enemies of the public.

That makes the decision to classify information a matter of judgment, and we cannot expect any government to make no errors regarding it. Problems arise when the state's authority to keep secrets is abused for purposes other than those for which it was provided. To be frank, most governments, including (perhaps especially) that of the United States, are so deeply into abuse it should be alarming to us all.

We need more operations like Assange's Wikileaks to keep officials more honest. The only way to combat the state's corruption in employing its power of classification is to leak the information to the public.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Politicians and bureaucrats should hide information from the public in order to protect themselves from the public. If the government told me of a conspiracy to bribe a dictator in Central America to get him to murder dissidents and clergy so that one US corporation could get free bananas from that country to sell at a high profit in the US, I don't think my life would be in danger in any way.

4. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 5 years ago

Generally the public should be kept up to date. There are times rare I might add in which info should be kept from the public for the sake of the public, but you better be ready to take the heat!

Stay Well

5. Cody Byerly profile image58
    Cody Byerlyposted 5 years ago

Parents shelter their children simply because the child is not mature enough to handle the cruel reality of life. When politicians and governments shelter their citizens, they are saying that the people can not handle the truth. The issue becomes whether the populace can be trusted or not.

I find that what is hidden should never happen in the first place. What is hidden tends to be tragedies, injustices, or just plain wrong doings. That is why people must be sheltered, to keep them calm, peaceful, and in ignorant bliss. Gives those in power a relatively easy life, which isn't exactly a good thing for the people being wronged.

If the governments and politicians were clear, then people would know what is actually going on without having to deeply research something that they simply don't have time to do. Everyday people have the right to flat out know what is going on without being led in a round-a-bout. Then maybe there would be some morals in government.

working