jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Gun Control?

1. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Gun Control?

If Pres. Obamas answer  to this gun law crisis is to elevate Joe Bidem to head the new gun control commission is the answer , I'm scared already ......are you?

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 5 years ago

I am scared.  The truth is that if we got rid of all people guns would no longer kill anyone.  The point is that it is people who are doing the killing, the guns are just one of many tools available to do this job.  There was a thing on the internet today about a guy with a knife cutting up a bunch of students at a school in China.  Do you suppose they have appointed a committee to get rid of knives?

1. Mr. Happy profile image83
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don;t want to sound like a smart ass or anything here but in all honesty, how many cases of a man killing kids with a knife do You hear of and how many gun rampages are there ... the difference is enormous.  True people are doing the killing.

3. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

Mr. Ahorseback, I think the 2nd Amendment is there precisely because of what You said: "I'm scared" so, I want to have guns so I can defend myself from a potential tyrannical government or despot or whatever. The thing is, the Federal Government controls the army, so it will always have access to helicopters, better armament and so on. A civilian can never compete with the government in an arms race and that is what it seems like some Americans think they can do: arm myself so good that I can stand up to the government. Is that the idea? Because if that is the idea, I think that is not a very good one.

Look at the Taliban - ten years the Great American Army tried to bring them to their knees (and not only, the Soviets too ... and the Soviets were much more ruthless) and they still could not be annihilated. It's not about how big You are (the bigger they are the harder they fall) or size ... "Size doesn't matter, it's what You do with it". I can go on but I am sure You get my point (even if You may not agree): it's not about whos guns are bigger but who is smarter, who has more resilience and who masters guerrilla warfare. I am saying this all in relation to: we need to have big guns to defend ourselves from tyranny.

What do You think? (I already lived through a revolution - in 1989 in Romania and the population did not have the right to guns: the dictator was still overthrown and met the firing squad.)

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have never considered having guns as protection from the government, but from the growing number of bad guys in this country.  The police can't do much until after the crime is committed.  It is now up to the citizens to protect themselves.

2. Mr. Happy profile image83
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Fair point Mr. Old Poolman. Just for the sake of the conversation now: what about the part in the Second Amendment which speaks of a "well regulated Militia"? Is that not because of the Fear which States have towards a potential tyrannical Fed?

3. profile image0

Mr. Happy, I guess that was the original intent, but like everything else it has evolved into being able to protect the lives of yourself and those you love.  We have tied the hands of law enforcement to where we now have to be able to do it ourselve

4. Ericdierker profile image54
      Ericdierkerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You know I searched my memory and cannot remember one case of a civilian shooting a criminal where the criminal died from automatic gunfire. I remember some trap gun killings. I remember some revenge killing.

4. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Not really. The 2nd Amendment just passed via incorporation doctrine. Love to see that battle. May I remind WVERYONE we have two other branches of the government.

5. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

Very funny perspective. I like it. So yes I am scared. I wish most people would take the time to realize the concept of the guns that are the target of bans.  These things can fire one hundred rounds with a single depression of the finger. That is not going to protect you against an assault team at all. The only use is indiscriminate projectiles that can kill filling the air.
    I kind of doubt the Joe could really grasp that concept.

(of course in the hands of an expert professional with near daily practice the gun has some discrimination)

1. profile image0

To my knowledge, there is no legal supplier of weapons selling full automatics to any civilian.  All of the civilian rifles fire only a single round everytime they pull the trigger.

2. Ericdierker profile image54
      Ericdierkerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think you meant to say there is no supplier legally selling fully automatic weapons to the general public. And also modifications to recent weapons which make them automatic, will destroy the barrel in about a ten second burst. Enough?