jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

On the topic of gun control, what do you think of this?

1. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 5 years ago

On the topic of gun control, what do you think of this?

Smart guns, recently patented by Irish entrepreneur, Robert McNamara, prevent anyone, except the owner of the device, from shooting it. A chip implant in the hand, or a simple bracelet, ring, or stamp can contain the chip, which allows gun to fire, only when it is within 2 inches of the trigger.

I am curious to see what people think of this idea. I am impartial and try not to pass judgment on this issue. I just found this interesting.

2. Justin Earick profile image82
    Justin Earickposted 5 years ago

Sounds outstanding.  So long as there is a background check, gun safety course, magazine size limit, required reporting of lost/stolen/found weapons, and a national registry for the owner...

3. Rbostick profile image84
    Rbostickposted 5 years ago

The idea is a good one, but this guy wouldn't be the first to try it. I think it could do some good if it garnered some support.

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah true. There was the magnet ring idea before. For cops it would be great. Nobody could seize their weapon. It would combat the accidental shooting by children mostly. To me that needs to be the focus first.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Honestly, I love the thought! That would be awesome to have! But I wouldn't be too happy about the chip implant... That wouldn't be fun for me.

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Probably suitable for professionals such as cops, army, or maybe just enthusiasts. The ring would probably work best.

5. CynthiAnn profile image61
    CynthiAnnposted 5 years ago

The "chip" idea freaks me out, but it would probably be effective in gun control seeing as how even guns with this capability would be expensive in the black market too.

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

The idea sounds good, but would not meet Constitutional muster, since Congress is not allowed to pass any law infringing on the rights of the people to bear arms.

However, assuming you overcome that hurdle, one thing still concerns me. Would people who own these guns be at greater risk of attack as people try to sell the bracelet, ring or whatever that contains the chip. Thus, the stolen gun is usable and guilt may be associated with the person who originally owned the gun but was robbed of it and the chip. Furthermore, if such a chip was made, it would soon be duplicated for illegal uses. In theory, I like the idea. In reality, I am not sure it would work--at least least not as it is being envisioned.