jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What about the federal student lunch program, can it really defy McDonald's evol

1. tsadjatko profile image60
    tsadjatkoposted 5 years ago

What about the federal student lunch program, can it really defy McDonald's evolution theory?

A number of school districts are opting out of the federal student lunch program, finding that the government subsidy doesn’t keep them from losing money. Some school districts have found out kids don’t always eat their vegetables, so they’ve opted out of the federal lunch program designed to reduce childhood obesity by requiring more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and less salt and smaller entrees.  In some districts, up to half the kids stopped buying meals, creating deficits of tens of thousands of dollars.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7704973_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Well if the kids won't eat the food provided then it makes the balanced lunch a hard sell.  Food gets wasted and tossed out because kids won't eat it--that'a a huge waster. I don't know, what's next?  Lunch monitors to be sure kids eat the food.

Not sure what can be done.  It would be nice if nutrition was of interest to parents and they packed a healthy lunch but then not everyone can afford that either.

3. A Little TRUTH profile image87
    A Little TRUTHposted 5 years ago

No, but it can help it along.  The FDA and FTC want people fat and sick.  Fat people eat more.  Sick people take more drugs.  That means more profits for big food and big pharma companies.  And that means more lobbying money from these companies.  They get the biggest bang for the buck by starting them off young on a lifetime of typical American obesity and chronic diseases.

I like that picture!  I wouldn’t trust the government to feed my kids any more than McDonald's.

1. tsadjatko profile image60
      tsadjatkoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that pic is great, isn't it !  Actually, I only came up with the question so I could use the pic on something. :-) But you did give an interesting answer I wasn't expecting. C'mon people, there must be someone out there who will blame Bush!

working