Why doesn't America turn the lights off at night?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)
  1. harmony155 profile image58
    harmony155posted 10 years ago

Why doesn't America turn the lights off at night?

Skyscrapers in downtown cities keep lights on inside at night, unnecessarily. Isn't this such a waste of resources?

2. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

Like your question.

Someone actually did the research on this and all the issues they thought were the reason. Like safety for planes, building cleaning, and the cost of turning on and off were all off track. The just don't bother turning them of usually because no one  brings it up.

Seems that a simple installation of motion detection lighting could be the answer and bringing the subject to the attention of the building facilities management.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I remember reading somewhere one time that there are places in the world that have light pollution ordinances.  Not sure where though.  Some cities are 24 hour places.  They never sleep.

I know where I live, the traffic lights blink after a certain time at night and come back on the next morning at 9 a.m.  Most everyone rolls up their sidewalks early around here. 

One time there was a wild animal screaming in the woods.  I looked outside and you could see all the house lights going on in a row.  Most people around here shut everything off.  It's peaceful.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

It would be rather eerie to drive through a major city like New York, Chicago, LA or wherever at night and see all the office buildings blacked out. One of the romantic and attractive qualities about city skylines is how beautiful they look lit up. It's like looking at a metropolitan Christmas tree! :-)
    Postcard photos that contain photos of cities at night look great too!
    Generally speaking there are two ways to approach a crisis. The first is to cut back or sacrifice. The second is to be creative/innovative and develop products or services that will allow us to either continue or further enhance our lifestyles.
    I've never been one of those people who imagine the world's future will resemble a "Mad Max" movie where we have no resources.
    I think there are some incredible mind blowing future inventions on the horizon.

5. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

Quite often people feel more safe knowing that things are well lit. Also, it is common knowledge that criminals and ill-minded people wanting to do something illegal or immoral, prefer darkened spaces rather than well-lit ones. Motion detection lights can be a good option for a single family home but they are not always the smartest choice for every building. At many homes there are not many passers by, human and otherwise, to trigger them into being on longer than they are off.
    I live in an area of the country with many historic buildings and neighborhoods however, historic buildings don't always have to be decades or centuries old. Buildings officially deemed historic can often have massive headaches with various boards and regulations that must approve every change before it happens. An issue with even slightly older buildings (historic or not), those just several years old, is that the larger they are the more expensive it is to remove old lighting and install motion detection lights. If they are historic buildings, various structures or decorative elements can be damaged or destroyed in the process which doesn't really create much of a ROI when attempting to save energy or money on lighting.
    In historic applications costs of installation drive costs up further due to owners having to find very specific styles, materials, sizes, having to have them approved and lessens the incentive for owners to switch to motion detection lights if they are even available in the very specific styles, materials, sizes, etc. that fit the historic look of the building/neighborhood. Further, there are some applications where motion detection lights will stay on from dusk til dawn simply due to the movements of people, cars, and animals. Large buildings that aren't historic still have high costs with little return on the investment to the owners shelling out for it.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

No, I would not think so. It is for safety from the criminal element as well as guiding lights for planes, etc.

harmony155posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would think that planes have adequate GPS devices now and also big cities typically have no-fly zones (after 9/11)

7. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

Paris, the city of lights, recently passed laws that require shops and businesses to turn off the lights at night when they are closed. If they can do it, there is no reason other cities cannot follow.
    For those of you that think leaving the lights on protects you from criminals--get real. Leaving the lights on does not make you safer, and it sure is not to guide planes at night.

harmony155posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more!

8. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

I don't know how they do it in New York' but in the town I live in businesses usually turn most of the lights out but leave a few on, so it's not completely dark. I don't why.

9. jeffreymaskel profile image66
    jeffreymaskelposted 10 years ago

I think they probably keep some lights on for safety reasons.  It is unfortunate though.  Resources as well as light pollution.  I used to live in Illinois about an hour from Chicago.  Now I live in Colorado.  I had never seen so many stars in my life until I camped in the back of my truck one night in the mountains.  I think if more people knew how much of the sky they are missing at night they might turn more lights off in the world.  It seems petty but ever since I have moved here I can't stand light pollution.  Turn of your lights!  Please.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)