Is Scottish independence still a viable option?

1. jgwhite66 profile image84
    jgwhite66posted 4 years ago

Is Scottish independence still a viable option?

Do you think Scottish independence is now dead in the water after the Chancellors recent remarks that an independent Scotland would not be able to use Sterling as currency?

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I think the Scots will side with caution and vote NO. Many wealthier Scots - businessmen and the middle class - won't risk their necks and investments and financial futures just for the sake of a thistle on their passports. Money speaks louder than any politician! I just can't see where the SNP can gain YES votes on this issue.

If I was Mr Salmond I'd try and argue on principles - Scots have not voted for the Conservatives for decades yet Westminster Tories dictate!! That's not democratic at all. That's a fundamental flaw and it needs highlighting.
    I'd appeal to pure emotion - history, being a sovereign country again and having the political freedom many Scots crave.

Cameron, Osborne & Co won't let go on this one, they've too much to lose. They'll hammer away and tell the Scots NO Sterling Zone, if they vote YES.
    Is this rhetoric a bluff? Could be, but it'll scare the fence sitters into voting NO.
    Barroso seems to have vested interests too. The EU don't want the UK broken up for obvious reasons  - instability and potential chaos at a time when the Eurozone is still fragile.

Interesting times ahead. Kilts and sporrans at the ready!! Dirty Tory tactics inevitable!

working