jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Why do people smile during their mug shot?

1. Efficient Admin profile image91
    Efficient Adminposted 3 years ago

Why do people smile during their mug shot?

I see plenty of mug shots of people who are smirking or have a big smile on their face.  What is so funny about getting arrested?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Because they're complete idiots? Or drunk? Or stoned? Or all of the above?

1. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

lisa beat me to this same comment...90% of these characters are under the influence of "something" & aren't fully aware of what's going on. One famous mug shot will go down in history, however disgusting. "Jodi Arias." She's just a psycho!!

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Because we are conditioned to smile when someone takes our picture. A lot of people do it for driver's license pictures as well, and those technically don't require a smile.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12222964_f260.jpg

I believe they smile because it's habit, or they don't want to look shameful or horrible like Nick Nolte did. It's a vanity thing!smile
    Seriously if you know a photo is going to be seen by other folks you have a chance of shaping some people's thoughts. We tend to have mental images of what a thug, killer, rapist, or molester "looks like".
    A photo that looks the opposite of what people expect is the first step in raising reasonable doubt in some people's minds.
    Lastly there are those who smirk because they're "high" or drunk.

1. fpherj48 profile image76

We can only hope Nick's barber took this opportunity to sue!!

2. Efficient Admin profile image91
      Efficient Adminposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This photo of Nick just cracks me up every time I see it LOL!

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If anyone thinks they might get arrested they may want to carry a comb with them! LOL! (Mug shots last forever)

4. fpherj48 profile image76

dashing..In Nick's case..maybe something a bit more than a comb?YIKES!

5. Sharp Points profile image97
    Sharp Pointsposted 3 years ago

Why not? I mean if I was ever in that situation I'd probably have a hard time smiling. It seems like most people aren't too happy. Perhaps those that do are just making the best of a bad situation? Might as well, you're already there.

1. Efficient Admin profile image91
      Efficient Adminposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is a very optimistic way of looking at it.  I'm getting booked so why not have some fun with it. I always wondered if the cops were making jokes or something.  The weed / alcohol may help with the laughter as well.  :-)

working