jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think we need a 3rd political party in the United States? If so, what wou

1. profile image61
    May Esaposted 3 years ago

Do you think we need a 3rd political party in the United States? If so, what would it be?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12325574_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image85
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I don't think having another party would solve the gridlock in D.C.
    Technically we already have Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarian Party (founded in 1971 and is available in 48 states), Green Party (founded in 1991and is available in 36 states).
    There are also numerous other parties on the local and state levels who have elected members from other political parties.
    The "Tea Party" has gained more influence because it aligns itself as being a part of the Republican party.
    However many moderate or traditional Republicans view them as being extreme and a detriment to national elections. They tend to view compromise as weakness and aren't likely to attract Independent and conservative Democrats to vote for them.
    Essentially they're only hurting their own party with stances on personal issues as well as their notion that business in Washington needs to be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up. That rhetoric plays well for the supporters but not the masses in a general election.

3. Disappearinghead profile image78
    Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago

Eh? Please excuse my ignorance but I'm from the UK and don't know the finer points of American politics, but are you seriously telling me you only have two political parties? We've got 7, count em, 7 parties with elected members to parliament, and then there's the occasional independent politician with no party affiliation. Most European parliaments have a smorgasbord of political parties. Two parties in the US, that's just boring.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

The electoral college system essentially forces us into a two party system.
    Unless we shifted to a parliamentary system, third parties are essentially marginalized except for local office and flukes like Jesse Ventura's governorship.

working