jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

The 45-minute standoff by 2 drivers in a narrow tunnel - who was in the right?

1. Terrex profile image80
    Terrexposted 2 years ago

The 45-minute standoff by 2 drivers in a narrow tunnel - who was in the right?

Watch the video here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid … d-off.html
    The lady apparently had the right of way, but the elderly gentleman seemed completely lost. Did right of way have to win here?  What would you have done?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12662885_f260.jpg

2. James Power profile image77
    James Powerposted 2 years ago

They were both being stupid, this happens all the time on roads that are too narrow for two cars, one person just has to have the decency to back up or wait. No one was right.

Terrexposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the stupidity. I was just wondering what the legally-correct recourse is to a situation like this. Decency wins every time, you're right.

3. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

It sounds like they're both complete idiots. ..............

Terrexposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. And if you watch the video, there's a guy in a fluorescent work vest who starts mouthing expletives who is Idiot no.3...

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Even though there was a sign saying right of way, that by common sense means at the time of entrance. He IMHO was further into the tunnel evident by he was in darkness while she was in sunlight. Any sunlight upon him was from her side of the tunnel.

I ponder that right of way may have been more tradition than any kind of study with modern traffic. It is obvious the tunnel, which is through a bridge, was built even as far back as the 1700 or 1800's. Could that right of way have been established with horse carts, carriages, and buggies?

I don't think he was lost. As the article pointed out he had a fear of backing up. Too, he did have a greater length to backup. Could that be why only two were addressing him seeming more consoling? Could she also have the fear of backing up, being passed on the roadway, or was she stuck on the sign saying right of way with stubbornness?

The crowd was very confrontational with her. One woman declared if something happens to her family because of the standoff it would be her fault. There were many more addressing her to move. The man who used expletives pictured seems to have some official capacity. Unsure.

Answering what I would have done is backed up while flipping her the bird the whole time. And, I would have been courteous allowing the growing line of traffic on her side pass by too. That to me meant it was logical for her to let his lone car pass by before a stream of cars on her side after the fact of the standoff occurring. Would that have been simple courtesy having more power than the stubbornness associated with a sign? The crowd seemed to think so.

working