jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Why are so many people blind that Gun control does not work? Why do you think it

1. Matthew Harvey profile image68
    Matthew Harveyposted 2 years ago

Why are so many people blind that Gun control does not work? Why do you think it will? show me how

Why are so many blinded and want more gun control when it will never work? I proven over and over again with statistics and real info to back it all up. But no matter what you'll be to stubborn to believe you are right no matter how much proof I give you. So show me that gun control really works please?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 2 years ago

If it prevents one accidental death from bullets being randomly shot into the air and then falling and hitting a child in the head, killing him instantly or if a person who is ready to do someone and is forced to wait three days to get a gun and he cools down, then gun control can be viewed as a way of preventing accidental deaths.

People like me do not oppose people owning guns for hunting, self-defense or personal safety. Guns are not toys to be shot randomly into the sky fall somewhere where people are gathered. I am told about gun safety, yet there was a Hub where a man tried to cross a fence to chase a wounded animal, but did not lay his gun down first before trying to squeeze through the fence.

If you want a gun, you can have it. I just want to make sure you are not a convicted felon, had training in Gun safety and limit is set on the types of guns that can be sold. I do not think I am asking too much.

Matthew Harveyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

i agree and kinda disagree i personally believe we should be aloud to own any fire arm except full autos but if you are buying the fire arm you must qualify for it and trained in safety with it.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the above, but the definition of full auto needs to be defined. Grenade launchers and grenades should not enjoy the right to bear arms freedom.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12778328_f260.jpg

I'm not someone who believes people shouldn't have the right to bare arms for hunting or protection. However I also understand if something has never been tried before people will always wonder (if) it would work here.
    In 2011, the U.K. had 0.07 gun homicides for every 100,000 people; the U.S., by contrast, had 3 gun homicides for every 100,000.
    The U.S.'s neighbor to the north (Canada) also has outstandingly low gun casualty statistics. In 2009, there were 0.5 deaths per 100,000 from gun homicide — only 173 people. Still, the ownership is comparatively high — there are 23.8 firearms per 100 people.
    Canadian civilians aren't allowed to possess automatic weapons, handguns with a barrel shorter than 10.5 cm or any modified handgun, rifle or shotgun. Most semi-automatic assault weapons are also banned.
    Japan's gun policies are notoriously strict. Civilians cannot possess handguns, automatic assault weapons, semi-automatic assault weapons, military rifles, or machine guns. Japanese civilians aren't even allowed to own swords. Without a license, a Japanese citizen isn't even permitted to touch a firearm. Failure to follow this law can result in up to 10 years in prison.
    Japanese civilians hold a mere 710,000 guns, with 0.6 firearms for every person. In 2008, there were {11 gun homicides}. For perspective, there are 122,800,000 people in Japan. That year is not an anomaly. In 2006 there were {2 gun homicides} and in 2007 there were 22, a national scandal.
    Having said that I don't believe America would ever enact gun controls laws on the level of the U.K., Canada, or Japan.
    It would have the same results of prohibition.
    However there are some commonsense laws that should be enacted. If there is anyone Homeland Security has put on the "no fly" list that person should be barred from legally purchasing a gun.
    Unfortunately many people see (any change) as a "slippery slope" whether it applies to (no fly list people) or the type of guns and ammunition that can be sold.
    Some states have stricter laws than others which only means you have to drive to a neighboring state to get whatever you want.
    Therefore anything short of a "national law" would be tough to evaluate on it's merits.In America, there are approximately 270 million firearms possessed by civilians, and only 897,000 carried by police. Approximately 20% of gun owners own 65% of the guns.
    Lastly there is the well documented belief that the "bad guys" are going to break the law. Of course this is true of any law whether it's speeding, drugs, stealing, or acquiring guns. Laws create criminals.

Matthew Harveyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

yes your right we do have a high homicide rate but if you also look at those countries with there gun ban as well there crime rate went up in the UK all home invasions, rape, assault, and murder went up pretty much over night same with Australia

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Comparing the basically metropolitan US with countries that often have no gun laws is not accurate. I am convinced that we can reduce gun-deaths with reasonable regulations. I do not know the regs of other countries.

working