jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What do you think of celebrities boycotting the Oscars?

1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

What do you think of celebrities boycotting the Oscars?

Jada and Will Smith, Michael Moore, and others are boycotting the Oscars because no African Americans were nominated.  They want others to join in, and even want host Chris Rock to quit.

2. aguasilver profile image80
    aguasilverposted 2 years ago

I think that black actors boycotting the Oscars is a weird form of self segregation, i.e. you won't award us, so we will segregate ourselves, thereby achieving the demolition of what their forefathers fought for.

They end this when they start thinking of themselves as actors, not black actors, Americans, not black Americans, until they do that, they reinforce the stereotype.

I have never seen any American of European ancestry use that as an excuse for their inability to compete.

Nobody states, I'm underprivileged because my great grandfather was an Irish peasant who was conscripted into the Civil War when he landed in America, but they were, and they overcame the prejudice by becoming Americans.

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point made about the Irish peasant.  I agree!

2. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are right, no one separates themselves more than the black people. Greg.

3. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I've never heard any of his music or seen his movies, but, Ice Cube said something that I think puts things into perfect perspective.

“We don’t do movies for the industry...we do movies for the fans, for the people. And the industry, if they give you a trophy or not or pat you on the back or not, it’s nice but it’s not something you should dwell on...“We got so much praise for the movie. So how could we be mad that one other Academy or guild or anybody didn’t say it’s their number one? It’s like crying about not having enough icing on your cake,” he added. “You know what I mean? It’s just ridiculous.”

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I read that too.  That was awesome of him.

4. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 2 years ago

I think it is BS. They even have their own "black awards" programs. They don't include any whites in those and we don't boycott them. What do they really want, "pitty" nominations? They should have to earn what they get, not cry until someone feels sorry for them. I have never been prejudice, but this along with "black lives matter" have been turning a lot of people sour on the equality thing. Just my opinion and feelings, Greg.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

I think Jada Smith was not the person to lead this movement when her husband was obviously one of the actors not to receive a nomination for a performance I'm sure he expected to be recognized for.  Sour grapes comes to mind.

Yes, the world is dominated by old, white men.  Where's the surprise?

working