jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Would more gun regulations actually solve anything?

1. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 22 months ago

Would more gun regulations actually solve anything?

Read a post this morning talking about closing background check loopholes. Considering the number of people who obtain guns illegally, the number of kids either shot by their parents' gun while playing with it or stealing their parents' gun to shoot up a school what does fixing background loopholes actually fix?

2. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 22 months ago

Hi Annsalo
    I  am not read up here to appropiately give a reasoned reply. But if I may I would like to offer a personal comment about guns. Don't have them. Having them too handy and in practically everyone's household is just a too easy option to go for to seek a final solution to a argument fight or break in. Just dont have guns except for farmers or defense forces yes. But for a household? No. Vote the gun favoured out of government. Here in our country we have to collect 10 000 signatures before its taken to Parliament to be debated or discussed. Or if you cannot go out and doorknock? Email the Attorney General or his team at the Law Reform Commission to change legislation.

Annsaloposted 22 months agoin reply to this

We own them, but we own them for safety and keep them locked away so our kids can't get them, but the USA has a gun problem. I just don't see how laws can help when criminals don't obey laws.

3. ronbergeron profile image85
    ronbergeronposted 22 months ago

If you're referring to violence problems, I think that additional regulations would only solve problems if criminals, who don't follow the existing regulations, agreed to start following the new regulations.

When it comes to things like accidental/negligent shootings like the recent parents being shot by children playing with the parent's guns, I'm not sure how much it would help. Those are cases of improper storage, negligence, and lack of common sense. It's hard to enforce common sense by passing laws.

I'm not convinced that guns are a problem. I think the problem is a social issue. Too many people lack respect for themselves and others, are affected by fear, anger, and hopelessness, and have never developed the mental tools needed to come up with solutions other than violence. Passing yet another anti-gun law isn't likely to fix that.

I agree with you fully. It's hard for laws to help stop criminals or common sense. However a mandatory safety class for those with kids might be nice, but probably unenforceable as well.

2. ronbergeron profile image85
      ronbergeronposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I think safety classes are a great idea. They're mandatory here in Massachusetts; you can't get your LTC (license to carry) without it. Unfortunately, I'm sure many people would skip them if they weren't.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

In short, no, it would make the average person more vulnerable to criminals who don't obey gun laws or other laws.
    And we're seeing a major erosion of rule of law. Democrats have made entire cities and states sanctuary cities - ignoring immigration law en masse. Several states and cities have legalized marijuana for recreational use regardless of national laws - so you have many ignoring drug laws in mass.
    Would you then expect the third of the population that considers the right to self defense a sacred right to follow stricter gun laws, when the left has ignored major categories of law for years?

While I doubt we agree on much, I agree that this would likely make law abiding people more vulnerable to those who obtain their guns illegally.