jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

What is the first thing a dictator or victor in a coup usually does?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months ago

What is the first thing a dictator or victor in a coup usually does?

2. mike102771 profile image82
    mike102771posted 13 months ago

1. Kill the outgoing administration.
    2. Kill anyone who supported outgoing administration.
    3. Rewrite history to justify said killings.
    4. Have party

Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months agoin reply to this

All good points.  The answer I was looking for was shutting down radio, TV, and newspapers.  Best way to push your own propaganda is to eliminate all the other available media sources.  And if you can't eliminate them, then discredit them.

2. mike102771 profile image82
      mike102771posted 13 months agoin reply to this

No, you want to keep the media just reshape it to fit your admin. The public will need a face/voice they trust making it easier to lie to them. As long as you have a shovel and some open land your enemies can go away.

3. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 13 months ago

One of the first things that happen under a dictator is to silence a free press. They deny members of the press access, refuse to acknowledge them, and then vilify them. A dictator controls the dialog and the flow of information. They attempt to hoodwink the public into believing they are more trustworthy than an unbiased journalist. Once a questioning press is removed the dictator has free reign to mobilize the military and militarize the police.

1. mike102771 profile image82
      mike102771posted 13 months agoin reply to this

With just the right amount of persuasion (thumb screws, water boarding etc) I am sure that "unbiased"  journalist can be made to see the light.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83

Michael:  I don't think that will be necessary.  Once the public is convinced they can't trust the news, it doesn't matter what gets reported.  I guess that's the catch.  If the public can't believe the media, the dictator can't use them either.

3. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 13 months agoin reply to this

deny press access & vilify them - mmmm sounds like our Golden Haired Orange Prez-elect.

4. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 13 months ago

Control the media and turn it into a tool for propagand. After that get the people to turn on your enemies...since dictators have many of them.

5. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 13 months ago

Reinforce the victory in the eyes of the people by any means necessary that the coup was an act of liberty and benefits the people. They need the apparatus of the media to do that. But, the media will become state owned including assets. So, yes Freedom of the Press / Media will disappear by some measure, but how much is the question.

If curious take a peek at 'Reporters without Borders'. The link leads to world map indexed for Freedom of Press / Media. At the right are countries listed best to worst. The U.S. is 41 / 180. At the top you will see headers and one is countries where a summary is offered. Also, there is a search capability.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2016

Excellent information.  Russia is 148 - better then Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan - interesting.

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 13 months agoin reply to this

What I found interesting was 4 of 5 Nordic countries were in the Top Ten.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image83

Tim:  What does it say that those countries tend to be on the cutting edge of progressive issues?

4. tsmog profile image82

That is a good thought to ponder. How I discovered this is last year I began researching info on News History & historical impacts, how news is consumed yesterday & today, what & who are news agencies, consumer demographics & who cont

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image83

Tim:  I'm hoping you wrote some hubs on what you found.  I'll take a look at your profile.

6. tsmog profile image82

So far Kathleen it has been gathering info & reading. I am pondering how to focus on being a unique article. For instance Word-of-Mouth is the largest form of media spreading info. Think pyramid. Propaganda research has been interesting.

working