Why don't people understand that depression isn't a choice?

1. profile image61
    Sydney Annposted 10 months ago

Why don't people understand that depression isn't a choice?

People underestimate depression, as if it's a choice. If it were a choice, anyone would choose too be happy, right? I mean, who would want too be unhappy with life? Who would want too spend everyday, with low self-esteem, envying people who can go 10 minutes without hearing or thinking negative thoughts? Depression is affecting relationships, because some individuals don't understand that we have "bad days." We have days where it's not that we "don't want too get out of bed." It's that we can't get out of bed. Why face the world, when you can't even face your own thoughts.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image85
    wrenchBiscuitposted 10 months ago

That's an easy question to answer. It's because a great many people are stupid. These morons think everything is a choice. They think young people who live in the ghetto "choose" to join gangs and sell drugs instead of going to Harvard or MIT. They think gay people "choose" to be gay. They even believe that dogs "choose" to piss on fire hydrants! With so many stupid people in the world, it's no wonder that so many intelligent people suffer from depression.

Anyone who doesn't suffer from some degree of depression is obviously a stupid person.

3. johnmariow profile image83
    johnmariowposted 10 months ago

I found that when people hear about one person who overcame his or her depression, they think that anyone can.

I guess thinking otherwise makes them feel insecure and vulnerable. So they convince themselves that there is a magic pill that cures depression. It's their own personal security blanket.

I suffer from depression and anxieties. I take medication for it. The medication helps me cope with it. It's not a cure.

Maybe that is why I love the song "Life Is A Lemon (and I want my money back)" sung by Meatloaf.