Would a picture of Obama and Louis Farrakhan change an election?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/14072632.jpg
    A 2005 photo recently surfaced showing former president Barrack Obama with Louis Farrakhan.  Mr. Farrakhan is an avowed anti-semite who does not hide his hatred of white people.  Would this picture have made a difference if the media had run it during Obama's first election?  Any theories as to why it was not run?  Mr. Farrakhan has publically met with Maxine Waters, Barbara Lee and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus who refuse to denounce Farrakhan or his views.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If the media had run it? It's easy to find multiple sources that all say the same thing: the photo was only recently released. The media couldn't run what it didn't have.

Farrakhan showed up at a Congressional Black Caucus meeting in 2005. The CBC asked the photographer not to release the photo. Should we impeach all members of the CBC while we're at it?

Right-wing propaganda once again ignores the truth and spreads ridiculous garbage. Destroy all media except for Fox News and National Enquirer.

Seig heil.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would be curious what sparked such a vehement comment. It's a simple 'what if'. No different from asking what if Hillary didn't have the email scandal during the election. There is no right wing propaganda in the OP.

1. profile image0

I agree my post was vehement. It comes from someone who is sick of a handful of extremists constantly bombarding HP forums with inflammatory right-wing propaganda.

They are dragging them down into the gutter.

The propaganda is is the easily proven distortion of facts, attack on the First Amendment and underlying racism that is so common among Trump lovers and Obama haters.

Hillary is irrelevant.

Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Promisem, what distortion of facts? I seriously doubt your ability to comprehend the concept of what is "propaganda."  The picture was taken in 2005, Barack Obama was being considered as a candidate to run for president during this time.  These are facts.  I posed a hypothetical question whether this picture being released of Obama with Farrakhan  to the media would have made a difference. I got this question from reading an article by a black journalist from the New Yorker named Vinson Cunningham who had the same question.  Here is a quote from his article. 

"When I saw a recently released photo, by Askia Muhammad, of Obama and a beaming Louis Farrakhan, I immediately thought of the Clinton campaign. What fun they could’ve had with this one! Muhammad took the picture, in 2005, at a gathering hosted by the Congressional Black Caucus, after Obama’s star-making turn at the 2004 Democratic National Convention but before it was clear that the Senator would offer himself as a candidate for President—when, in other words, the man was pure potential, unsullied in the eyes of hopeful Democrats. After some pressure from one of the caucus’s staffers, Muhammad agreed to bury it."

Again facts, the picture was buried and kept from the press.  The question is if it had not been buried, been released to the public, would it have made a difference in the election of Barrack Obama.  Maybe not, McCain was a horrible candidate.

Here is a link to the article.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal … iled-obama

The picture was intentionally kept from the press, that's a fact, Obama was being considered as a potential presidential candidate at the time it was taken, that's another fact.  Would it have made a difference if it had been released to the media? Hypothetical question. 

Logic and honesty dictates it would be difficult to prove this as propaganda of any kind.

1. profile image0

"Obama with Louis Farrakhan. Mr. Farrakhan is an avowed anti-semite who does not hide his hatred of white people."

- Therefore Obama is a racist and anti-Semite by association, which the right has claimed thousands of times. (And of course he was a secret Muslim just like Farrakhan.)

"... Congressional Black Caucus who refuse to denounce Farrakhan or his views."

- Therefore again the CBC is made up of white racists.

"... if the media had run it during Obama's first election?  Any theories as to why it was not run?"

- You are ready knew and admitted in your other post that they didn't have it and why it did not run. But you wanted to insinuate the media buried it on purpose, which is consistent with the unending posts on here about the evil liberal MSM.

Yes, your post is propaganda. It's the same stuff the far right has been pushing for years.

Interesting, the only person insinuating anything is you.   Also interesting is how I posed a question from a black journalist.  Would you react the same way to him? Try reading the article by Vinson Cunningham of the New Yorker.  Are you saying a black journalist is putting out right-wing propaganda?  Mr. Cunningham is far from right wing.  Trust me.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Underlying racism? Had Obama met with a white anti Semite would that,then, not constitute racism?

This politically correct need to always look at skin color and then base opinions on that color is, in my opinion, racist to the core.

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The worst racists are those that see racism everywhere they look, for racism is part and parcel of who they are and they will make the world racist even when it isn't.

Yeh. But,their holier than thou stances in the process are mind boggling.

LOL  No argument there!  It's what happens when an evil is viewed as good and shouted out to the heavens.

2. profile image0

"Holier than thou" is not the best word choice. "Morally superior" is more accurate.

LOL. If you think your stated racism is morally superior. You go guy.

2. profile image0

Trump supporters have a remarkable habit of turning accusations around. It's a habit they learned from their king. Their blindness is truly mind boggling.

It's what happens when we unscrew the spin and give the rest of the story.

1. profile image0

Yes, the way they spin racism into their so-called rest of the story is impressive.

Do you really want to claim that Obama has not been the victim of a massive amount of racist and anti-Muslim propaganda?

Why would I say that?  Though I WILL point out that he pulled some pretty stupid boners when it comes to both, and did deserve some chastisement for both.  Nothing like what he got, though.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Ok. I don't see anything racist, or wrong, in a picture of Obama with a black community leader. Call me racist. I'm used to foolish accusations from the left.

1. profile image0

It's revealing how "avowed anti-semite who does not hide his hatred of white people" becomes "black community leader".

That's not a foolish accusation. Those are quotes from you and Mike.

Farrakhan is an anti Semite, by his own statements. He is also a community leader. I would think it was his leadership role which caused Obama to be in close proximity. Not his anti Semitic statements.

Good and bad walk hand in hand, often times. I liked how Obama would focus on good. Unlike some not to be named, nearby liberals.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

I'm never impressed by what liberals know.  I'm always overwhelmed by what they assume and don't know.

From the Chicago Tribune Review

“White folks are going down. And Satan is going down. And Farrakhan, by God's grace, has pulled the cover off of that Satanic Jew and I'm here to say your time is up, your world is through," Farrakhan said in his speech.

He said other things too, but I’m not going to spread his hate here. What interests me is the silence of the left."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu … story.html

The fact that Louis Farrakhan is an anti semite who hates white people is a fact that is easily established.  What kind of community could Louis Farrakahan possibly lead?  If the left would only live by their own standards, they'd love President Trump.  First, they'd have to be able to grasp the concept of hypocrisy and I don't see that happening any time soon.

3. Readmikenow profile image94

Promisem,  interesting how you've done everything required to get away from the main theme of the thread.  I wonder why?  So, can you answer the question "Would a picture taken in 2005 of Barrack Obama with the self-proclaimed hater of Jews and white people, Louis Farrakhan, have made a difference in Barrack Obama's run for the White House?"  Why does this hypothetical question bother you so much?  Does it illustrate something you feel inside that makes you uncomfortable but are afraid to acknowledge? Simply answer the question.  I could ask about Obama's pastor Jeremiah Wright and all of Mr. Wright's hate speeches about white people, but I'll save that for another question of fact to make liberals upset.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Obama , The first presidential candidate to never be vetted ahead of running  ,  half of America and youth-- that hardly ever votes and may never again , saw only ONE THING  the first black candidate ,  Any black candidate in fact and yes especially black voters ,90% of which voted Obama .    Political correctness is a sorry , sorry mentality . Yes women saw the , suave , politi-speaking academic elitist , mastermind , the good looking and  as Joe Biden said ,   "  He's really  clean ?, he's articulate ,....he's really cool ,what's not to love ....."
    Had these associations been shown and the DNC , RNC not been cowards , No he wouldn't have been elected .

Vetted ? No . But people did the same thing with Bernie Sanders , except the people who headed of the DNC anyway .
    Gotta get you some of them super- delegates, Bernie !

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

Would not have made a bit of difference in the outcome of that election. McCain shot himself in the foot, the head, the hand, wherever. He lost the debates and had a running mate who was a joke. The only thing that might have mattered is if Obama took the stage and made statements that he agreed with Louis Farrakhan on volatile issues.

I think you're right. McCain was a horrible candidate for many reasons.  Yeah, it may not have made a difference given the choice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)