jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

What is she thinking??

1. lorlie6 profile image87
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, this does not shock me:

"Amanda Clayton, a 24-year-old mother of two, won a $1 million jackpot last fall, and chose to take the lump sum, which, after taxes, was about $500,000. She bought a new car and a new house. Yet, she's still collecting $200 a month in food stamps. Her excuse? Since the government didn't cut her off she kept taking it. "I feel that it's OK because I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses," Clayton told WDIV 4 in Detroit. For the time being, her actions apparently aren't illegal. Legislation is pending that would cut off lottery winners from the welfare system."  -MSN

I wanna slap her silly.

How about you?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, we talked about this in another thread. It's ridiculous, really.

The sad thing is, that kind of money should be a tremendous turning point for someone. It's an opportunity to start a small/at-home business, or go back to school, or any number of other long-term beneficial activities. Most though, seem to waste it on a new house, new car, new everything. Sadly, she lost 10% of the value of her new car as soon as she bought it, and the same goes for the house.

lorlie6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Exactly, JaxsonRaine.  My husband has always vowed to buy a work-truck if he ever fell into such riches.  And work, he would.

1. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We're actually looking at the possibility of coming into a large sum of money(not that large, but still large for us).

We are going to buy a house, but we found a house(not new) for $60k, and we would buy that to cut our monthly expenses in half by eliminating rent.

Then we're going to work on our at-home businesses while I finish my degree. For our car(a 1999 volvo) we need a new radiator, but after that $400 repair it will be running nearly as good as new.

I just don't understand why people waste so much money on interest and on new purchases that depreciate heavily.

lorlie6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

How fabulous for you and yours!  I completely agree with your philosophy on spending habits, depreciation and essentially criminal interest rates are undeniably $ down the john.
            Congratulations and good wishes!

working