jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Buffett supports women at Augusta

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett, a member of Augusta National Golf Club, said he would allow "plenty of women" to join if he ran the club.
    Augusta National's male-only membership policy was called into question this year after IBM appointed a woman, Virginia Rometty, as its new CEO. The club has previously offered membership to IBM's past four CEOs, who were all men.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/bil … sta-050612
    This is nice of him,especially at his advanced age to suddenly be generous and want to do the right thing. My question is, where has he been the past 80 years?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

big_smile......he's been hangin' out with the guys....the little woman has been at home taking care of things...i hope she has been tucking lots of dough away!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

what an old dinosaur....he finally remembers i guess....

2. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Warren and his late wife were separated for many years while he lived with his girlfriend...wink

anyway it feels disingenuous...

2. profile image0
      Ghaelachposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I Think the answer to,

"My question is, where has he been the past 80 years?"

Is so evident, he's been making Billions of dollars. His start capital of 10.000$ has grown and made him on occations the richest man on the planet replacing Bill Gates a couple of times which isn't the easiest thing to do.
      LOL Ghaelach

2. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 5 years ago

I agree, it's disingenuous and too little too late.  If he was really displeased with their policy, he would have ceased to be a member.

Anyway, I don't think they hold onto that policy out of sexism, but rather as a shrewd business move.  There are plenty of men who would pay big bucks to be a part of a club that didn't allow women, and Augusta has capitalized on that.  The fact that they have a female CEO now...I wonder if some of their more sexist members will leave, lol.

1. tussin profile image60
      tussinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oops, I read that article wrong, IBM has a female CEO, not Augusta.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me if they hired a female CEO before they admitted women.  Business as usual.

working