Points to Ponder
There are some hard questions in life and some of them have no easy or good answers. I like to use this hub to pose some of them for your consideration. Sometimes, by asking the tough questions, it can help us put our values and beliefs in order.
Some questions to ponder...
- Suppose you find yourselve in a position where you have a choice of saving from drowning either your favorite pet dog or a stranger human being. Which would you choose?
- Is an 8 month fetus in a woman's womb a living creature?
If someone punches that woman's stomach causing the death or abortion of the fetus, is that a crime? what charges should he face? what should his penalty be?
- If good and evil is a religious concept then is there a concept of "evil" in the mind of an Atheist? What would an Atheist called someone like Hitler?
- What is the criteria for limitimg free speech? We all know yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater is against the law. What should decide whether someone's first amendment rights to free speech should be curtailed? Is there a litmus test?
- What is hate crime? Can you punish someone for thinking a certain way or only when he acts on that thought?
- Illegal immigration has been in the forefront of the news lately. If some people claims that illegal immigration is good for America, why not have an open door policy? If 12 Million illegals is good, why not 100 Million? Is there a limit to this number?
- If evolution theory explains all the life we see today, how do you explain homosexuality? Isn't survival of the fittest would necessarily kill off all gay people long ago? They won't reproduce to propagate the species.
- A recent news report cites that cell phone usage may have caused the destruction of the bees population. As you know, the bees are beneficial to mankind by helping to pollinate many of our crops. The delemma is this - how far are we willing to go to save the bees? Are you willing to give up your cell phone?
Somethings in life have no good answers. Maybe that's OK. We don't have all the answers and perhaps that is by design. Life would be boring if everything is known and predictable.