- Gender and Relationships
What to do on First Date -Expectations on First Date
First Date Expectation
TIPS ON HOW TO IMPRESS ON YOUR FIRST DATE
First impression usually lasts, they say. Oftentimes you hear your friend tells you, why didn’t she/he calls me anymore after our first date? And they do wonder what’s wrong with them. Did they left bad impression? This could be distressing at time specially for those who really are looking for a date. I will try to give some tips and suggestions on what to do or not to say on your first date.
According to wikipedia, “Dating is a form of courtship and may include any social activity undertaken by, typically, two people with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as their partner in an intimate relationship or as a spouse. The word refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity. Traditional dating activities include entertainment or a meal”.
Dating is an opportunity to look at your partner whether they will be suitable for your own needs or goals. It is the first stage in a relationship. It is the time to know whether the two of you will click or will enjoy each others company. You will also start to know the other one better.
Tips on first Date: What to Expect
- Don’t sleep with him/her on your first date
- Put off your cell phone. Focus your attention on your date
- Avoid a wandering eye, keep your eye only to him/her (Often men will reply, I might have you for a date but I am not yet dead)
- Maintain eye contact when the other one is talking
- Listen carefully to what the other is saying
- Don’t ask too personal questions e.g., don’t share your problem immediately (economic or emotional), unless they he/she volunteer to do so
- Don’t tell him/her how bad your ex is, even though he/she is a jerk etc
- Don’t bombard him with questions about his/her ex, children etc. During date he/she is the center of attention not you, not your ex or children
- Don’t ask him/her how many past gf/spouse/bf/partner she/he ever had
- Don’t ask how much he earns, asking about his work is ok
- Listen carefully to what the other one is saying paying close attention, As this is a date, you would want to know more about him. Answer his/her questions nicely and honestly
- Don’t be over too serious and conscious of yourself
- If you’re a woman let the man pay for the first date
- If you’re a man ask the lady where she would like to go, i.e, if you are going to a restaurant be sure you both like it, or you want to try something new instead
- Treat other people whom you met during the first date nicely. I say first impression last, be nice to the waiter etc.
- Don’t overdress, your dress should be appropriate to the place you are going. Women avoid wearing too saucy clothes, just wear clothes you are comfortable with and shows your best feature
- Smile, it is your best accessory
- Groom yourself but avoid overdoing perfume, make up etc.
- Wait for a period of time before you date him/her again after the first date, say like a three days after.
- Lastly be yourself, just relax, and everything will be fine