10 Terrific Reasons to Date a Writer
Have you ever dated a writer? A lot of times people speak negatively about the experience. That’s because there are definitely some quirky things that you have to put up with when you date someone who makes writing their job or serious hobby. These people often want to be left alone, they tend to turn everything into a bigger story than it is and admittedly writers can be a little bit weird. Nevertheless, dating a writer can be a really terrific experience. There are just so many little benefits to dating a writer that make the negatives worth their trouble.
Here is a look at ten great reasons to date a writer:
1. Writers will take the time to romance you with language. One of the best perks of dating a writer is that this person will take the time to write to you. You’ll get cards and letters for no reason. They’ll be filled withpoetic language or detailed memories. They’ll make you smile. Dating a writer means that you will receive love letters or that silly little notes will turn up in your pockets. Flowery descriptions of everything great about you will be shared on special occasions and you’ll get to bask in what that feels like. See one of my posts with suggestions on things to write someone for Valentine’s Day for an idea of what you may receive when dating a writer. These things are part of the package when you date a writer and you’ll enjoy them.
2. Your ego will be stoked. That’s because a writer often writes about the people that he or she is dating. Date a blog writer and you will notice little references to yourself in the posts. Date a poet and you will see yourself reflected back in some of the lines of poetry that the person recites at open mic nights or poetry readings. Date a novelist and see yourself turned into a full-fledged book character. Your narcissistic tendencies will be happily fed when you date a writer. Of course, the drawback here is that dating a writer means that personal details about you may turn up in written form and the writer may write much less flattering things about you if you break up. But this negative side doesn’t take away from the fun and joy of the positive side of being written about.
3. Writers will thank you in their dedications. Writers are big on acknowledging those who have helped them. Almost every book at the bookstore has a page for dedications and / or acknowledgments. Song writers and poets frequently include a dedication on their work. Date a writer and the world will know that you’ve supported someone in the arts. That’s a big deal. It’s even better than seeing yourself turned into a character in the book. It will make you feel truly appreciated.
4. Writers will drag you to interesting events. Most writers are curious people. We like to go to lots of different types of things so that we can broaden the boundaries of our life experience and therefore give a wider scope to our writing. When you date a writer, you can expect to be invited to everything from GoKart tracks to circus performances to horse racing. You’ll have fun doing things that you might not have thought about doing on your own.
5. Writers will remind you that money doesn’t matter so much. People who write for a living don’t do it to get rich. They know that money may matter but it’s not the most important thing in life. Sure, they’ll have their meltdown moments when the bills aren’t getting paid but they’ll always say it’s worth it to be doing something that they love to do. They place creativity above the rest of life. Dating a writer will help to remind you that it’s important to pursue your passions. It may get frustrating at times but it makes your life far more passionate and interesting.
6. Writers are really passionate. Writers use all of their senses. They are passionate about their work and passionate about their lives. Any relationship that is filled with passion is a relationship that is worth trying on!
7. Writers will offer you an interesting perspective on things. There is a writing quote about how writers taste life twice - once in the living and once in the re-telling of the experience as they write it down. Writers pay attention to all of the interesting (and even the not-so-interesting) details in life so that they can recapture their experiences in their writing. When you date a writer you will be privy to all of their insights about life’s events and experiences - and you may find that you get to see things in a whole new light. That makes dating this person fun.
8. Writers are smart. The majority of writers are intelligent people. They are usually well-read and well-educated which means they can hold their own in many types of conversations. Dating someone dumb just isn’t fun for long; dating someone smart is always an interesting challenge. Writers always have something to say.
9. Writers can think through their feelings. A writer might be just as likely as anyone else to snap at you. However writers also are quick to take back what they said when they are angry and to correct it with what they really mean. Words matter to writers and they want to make sure that they use the right ones to make it possible for you to truly understand what they’re saying and where they are coming from. This is a big asset in any long-term relationships.
10. Writers really enjoy their solitude. Unless you’re in the honeymoon phase of your relationship, you probably want at least some time to yourself and time to spend with your friends and family. Writers want time to be alone to write and think which means that you’ll get your own much-needed space as well. It can be frustrating to have a writer shut you out to work but it can give you the space that you need to do your own thing and grow your own creative self.
Now don’t you want to date a writer?!
- Social Networking for Writers
We writers can be a lonely lot. Even as I write this I sit alone in my office. But I have found a way to network with other writers online and off, so that I am not feeling so alone. This article will focus...
- Gifts for Writers
It's time to buy a writer a present. But what do they want? This Hub aims to offer good ideas for a range of budgets which will help make your shopping choices a little easier. To help a writer get...
- 10 Great Books for Writers
Looking for something to boost your own writing career or the perfect gift for your writer friends? Not surprisingly, a huge number of books on writing have been produced, some by famous and successful...
- Christmas Gift Ideas for Writers and Bloggers
There's a good chance that someone in your life is a writer. The number of freelance writers and bloggers has gone up considerably in just the last several years as online writing has become an increasingly...
- 10 Great iPhone Apps for Writers
I have lusted after an iPhone from the minute the launch was announced. I waited and waited and tried to come up with all kinds of reasons to get one. Finally, with all the amazing apps around, I've finally...