7 Steps to a Better Relationship
By J.C. Delfino III
Relationship Therapy is one of the hardest areas to counsel someone on, but here are some simple steps to having better and healthier "discussions and disagreements".
1. Listen to your partner, really listen, speak less, let them speak and try to understand what they are saying.
2. Avoid distractions like TV, Music, Phones (texting), kids.
3. Focus on the problem at hand. Make sure you understand your partner and your partner understands you.
4. Stay on the issue. Don't drag up the past or other problems, stay focused work on one issue at a time. Solve the issue before you even attempt to work on another.
5. Take a break. If your conversation gets ugly, take a break stop the conversation, and get some breathing space. Ponder of what the other has said, and look at progress.
6. Deal with the issues, if someone is unable to deal with it ask why, you are not out to win, you are out to heal the relationship or overcome an obstacle.
7. Admit you might not always be right. Think open minded.
8. Remember this person is important to you, and then remind them of it.
Not going to say this will help in every case, but respect and love go a long way.