- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
A Melange of Three Kinds: Are You One of These?
Three Kinds of People
It has been said that there are three kinds of people: Those "who make things happen," those "who watch things happen," and those "who wondered what happened!"
There are underlying reasons why people behave the way they do. To understand them and not to attempt to interpret such behavior with criticism, gives us a clearer picture that will enable us to maintain a psychological balance.
Is there really a way to understand these oddities and how can we be of help?
What Drives You?
Understanding people's behavior is all about looking for the drives behind their behavior. You can't understand people's behavior before you know about their psychological drives. These drives are formed in their early childhood, by connecting the dots we can understand these drives.
If you managed to make someone believe that he can do something then he will do it. It is all about changing his self concept and making him believe that he can change. Change comes from within and from the outside too. If someone decided to change his behavior and worked on it people will notice the change and will encourage him to be even better. This encouragement will further strengthen his new self concept and will help him maintain his new behavior.
The One You Feed
On human character, there is an old story that amuses me. It speaks about the good and evil in each and everyone of us.
One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "which wolf wins?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "the one you feed."
Make Things Happen
We should be the kind of people who make things happen. Why? People who are of these kind got characteristics parallel to success. Who wouldn't want to be successful? These people are risk takers yet understand that realistic goals are set. If we want to have the kind of life we desire, we must be proactive in creating it. We just don't watch things happen, then wonder what happened. We often pass up opportunities and got accustomed to making excuses.
Let me share some distinct virtues of these people's admirable attributes.
- They believe in themselves and their abilities. Their self esteem is formidable. They don't need others to validate them.
- They are wiling to make sacrifices even if it would mean being uncomfortable for awhile.
- They take action and let results speak for themselves.
- They don't procrastinate. They don't put off for tomorrow what they can accomplish today.
- They create opportunities where and when they see fit. They don't wait for it to happen.
- They recognize the face of adversity and know how to bounce back. They don't stay down for long.
- They are diligent and consistent. As long as they keep on sowing, eventually they will reap.
- No matter how much they accomplish, they never stop dreaming. They don't get too comfortable. They seek out ways to get to the next level. They dream up new dreams.
- Goals they set are realistic. They only bite what they can chew.
- They stay focused. They keep their eyes on the prize.