Beach Wedding Theme Even if You Have No Beach
Have you always dreamt of having a romantic beach wedding but live nowhere near the beach? Believe it or not, it is possible to have a beach wedding without the beach.
I few years ago I attended the outdoor summer wedding of a friend. They incorporated a beach theme even though we were miles away from water. I found it to be one of the most unique and beautiful weddings I have ever seen. The simplicity of all made it even more interesting and elegant.
A Texas outdoor wedding in the heat of the summer can be downright unbearable, but they chose a scenic arboretum with a gazebo and vines. The bridesmaids wore tea-length pastel colors and you're going to love this part, with flip-flops. You know the bridesmaids adored the bride for that one. They were decorating stylishly, cool, and comfortable to walk in and stand in.
During the traditional candle-lighting ceremony, they lit a candle that was positioned in a large seashell filled with sand.
At the reception, the cake was decorated in beautiful sea foam green icing and covered with seashell shaped chocolates in variegated creams, mochas and chocolates. It was absolutely beautiful.
It was the kind of wedding that made you want to get a divorce and get married all over again just so you could create a wedding and reception as beautiful as theirs.
How to Plan a Beach Wedding without the Beach
- When planning a beach theme wedding, or any outdoor wedding, always consider the comfort of you, your wedding party and your guests.
- Fabrics and colors should be light-colored and breezy.
- Consider southern belle type hats to shade the faces of the bride, bridesmaids, flower girls and mothers of the bride and groom. Parasols offer shade as well, but obscure more of the view for those witnessing the wedding ceremony.
- Consider handing out hand fans (see below) for your guests to fan themselves in true southern fashion.
- Consider allowing the bridesmaids and flower girls to wear flip flops and no hosiery.
- Anticipate weather fluctuations and have alternate arrangements made in advance in case it rains, becomes windy, etc.
- Incorporate seashells, starfish, and sand into your decorations. You can find all kinds of wedding favors with beach-themed shapes.
- Shop around. You'll be amazed what is out there. I found sandcastle centerpieces, heart-shaped glass holder that you fill with sand and shells that holds your champagne glasses (see pic on right), unity candles with starfish and seashell motifs, and so much more.
- If you're holding the ceremony at the home of a close friend or family, consider hauling in sand and go barefoot.
- If it's particularly hot outside make sure the refreshments at your reception are cool and light. Citrus punch or lemonade is nice. Lime sherbet with Ginger Ale or 7-up makes a nice frothy punch resembling beach water.
- If you plan a late evening ceremony you can incorporate tiki torches with citronella in them to ward away insects and give the event an exotic feel.
- Most of all, remember that it is your big day. Have fun with it. Be daring. Don't be afraid to do something out of the ordinary.
Beach Wedding Links
- Wedding at the Beach! Complete with Great Beach Wedding Favors.
Island & Beach wedding favors and beach theme party favors including seashell, flip flop, ocean, sand and palm tree designs.
- Beach Wedding Theme | Beach Wedding Accessories
Beach wedding accessories for a beach wedding theme. Find ocean inspired guest books, ring pillows, unity candles and more.