- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
Changing your me to a we!
Making time for relationships
Want a serious relationship but don’t think you have the time? Made up your mind to spend more time with your mate? Are you a workaholic? Have a lot of extracurricular activities? A touch of “nobody does it like me, so only I can do it” I-tis.
You want to change your me to we? It may be hard at first but you can do it! Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Take a look at your schedule and determine what you can do with your significant other. For instance, you can ask her or him to help you wash your car, paint, do the dishes, go golfing, etc. During this time take the time to just talk. Then, guess what? You also accomplished a task in less time (hint: free labor).
- Napping – I know some of us work over 40 hours a week and enjoy our sleep. How about asking the other person to just snuggle. If you cannot just snuggle and not go there then we need to talk about a whole ‘nother topic.
- Cut back on something! For instance, are your children involved in more than one activity and they have you running like a Siamese cat from a Rottweiler? Limit the kids activities and you will have more time to have a we!
- Married people are me people as well. You should have date night at least once a month and couple time, even if 15 minutes, at least once a week.
- Discipline – The same way you get up for work, brush your teeth, and wash your self (I hope you do these things) requires the same discipline to go from me to we.
- Schedule time in which you can actually speak to another. It should be a communication date such as a walk or dinner. You and I both know you cannot talk at the movies and if you do – shame on you!
- Avoid the drainers – we spend so much time within our technology driven world that we forget about good old fashion communication. So when with your significant other you can simply turn off the phone and the computer and don’t forget the television. Don’t for one-minute think it is not rude to watch TV or answer your phone when you are making we time.
So go ahead and take the M in me, shake it up a bit, and flip it upside down!
Don’t forget you have to commit to the success of we!