- Gender and Relationships
Guys: Fifteen Things That Kill a First Date
Dating tips are essential if you've been out of action for awhile. OK, first dates are tough enough. Just ask anyone who’s single and dating. For women especially; we are already feeling over the top with anxiety about what this guy will really be like in person, whether he’s as cute as his pic and also if he’ll like us.
We’re not perfect either but here are some of the things that will drive us batty. Some of these apply to the ladies as well but we're talking to the the guys here. Here are the top fifteen, first date blunders, that will knock you out of the running with her.
Dressing like a slob. Guys, depending on where the date is, you, should be dressed accordingly. A clean pair of jeans and a nice tee is all it takes for a date at a fast food restaurant. Something a lot classier, calls for a good pair of jeans with a button down shirt or sexy muscles shirt if you can pull it off and a fly pair of shoes. You’ll have her drooling at your good taste.
Bad breath/body odour/yellow teeth. This can’t be stressed enough. No one wants to stick around with a gent that reeks because he forgot to use his deodorant or didn’t shower. Yuck! Nothing sends us running faster than a date that has bad breath or yellow teeth. So, shower and brush your teeth before the date. Oh yeah, don't overdo the cologne either. Less is more.
- Chain smoker. You’re a smoker but excusing yourself to smoke every fifteen minutes signals major addiction. Unless you want the date to be over before it's even begun, then figure out how to handle this issue.
- Bad table manners. Acting like a pig and stuffing your mouth is a definite turn off. So is talking with your mouth full or chewing with your mouth open, burping loudly, farting, picking your teeth, and blowing your nose at the table.
- Poor English. English might not be your native tongue but if she can’t understand a word you’re saying because it seem like you’re speaking a whole other language, honey, you’ve got a problem.
- He talks about himself the whole night. Guys, a conversation is a two way street. Ladies, if he spends the night talking about himself with you unable to get a word in; then let it be a lesson. Get rid of him quickly. Who wants to be out with a guy who’s not interested in what you have to say. He can enjoy going out with himself then.
- Boring person/conversation. Just like above he’s turned you off with his boring conversation or he’s just a bore. The night will be a short one because you’re just planning your escape.
- Ungentlemanly conduct. Let's face it, we want men who will perform the niceties such as opening doors, pulling out our chair and seating us, asking our opinion and giving up his coat if we’re cold. Chivalry is not dead.
- Rudeness. You’re on a date so your cell phone should be turned off or set to vibrate. If you are spending time talking on the phone, texting or checking your phone every few minutes then you shouldn’t be on this date. Game over.
- Cheap date. Guys this is a first date don’t be a cheapskate pay the bill. Unless she’s going for broke, you agreed to go on this date so pay the bill.
- Dishonest/show off. He starts to tell you about how many houses he has and the many cars that are in his garage, yet he doesn’t want to pay the tab. Light bulb moment here. He’s a bald face liar. Avoid him like the plague. If he has the houses etc then he’s a show off and trying too hard to impress you.
- Getting fresh with you. Guys, we know you want it. She does too, probably, (know I'm not supposed to say that) but what's the rush. Ladies, if he starts talking about his favourite sexual position and what he wants to do to you, watch out. Oh boy, major freak. Call your friend and arrange an sos.
- Lateness. Men, be there ahead so that you can appreciate what she looks like. Tell her that she looks good too. He should have a good explanation for his lateness; like an accident on the 401 and it was closed for the night or he had to stop to get you a gift. Otherwise, it’s not a good beginning.
- Drunkenness. If he show up drunk or if during the date he's had too much to drink then it's time to go. This is so not cool. Excuse yourself and make your escape. Get out!!
- Pushy. If he tries to grope or French kiss you at the end of the date, that's definite grounds for dismissal. Guys, a light kiss on the cheek or a hug is plenty as goodnight on a first date. Unless she was giving you majors signals during the date that she wants you, you need to step back. You're scaring her off.
If you can follow most of the dating tips on the list then you'll likely get a second date with her. Now each woman has her own list of things that she's looking for but many of them are here. If you really want a second date because she make your heart and other parts sing then let her know too(yipes, not about the other parts ok).
Don't say you'll call and then she never hears from you. Your word should mean something. Be honest and follow through.
What is an appropriate thank you for a first date?
© 2009 Chris Eddy111