- Gender and Relationships»
- Romantic Intimacy
Does Age matter in Relationships
A Social Animal
Man is a social animal and the connection are essential for the well being of this human, to survive on this planet.
A connection is defined as a friendship or a partnership between two individuals, where age does not matter in a relationship because it could be between a parent and a child or between two school going children.
A relationship of love, emotions, and needs could also arise between two adolescents or adults.
Nature of Relationships
Various names are given to the nature of relationships; a person develops and builds during his tenure on this planet.
• An Ethical relationship is seen between a mother, and a child where the care is unconditional. This kind of relationship is also seen between two adults who are sexual partners. Honesty is the foundation of this relationship. Any two humans, who are grounded and show respect for each other can be in such a relationship irrespective of age.
• An Intimate relationship is generally shared between two adults who need physical and emotional intimacy. Such a relationship helps in fulfilling the physical and sexual activity between people and helps maintain a deep emotional chord between them. This kind of relationship gives strength to each other.
• An Interpersonal relationship occurs when two individuals interact with their emotions. Such a relationship could occur with friends, family, co-workers, strangers, with doctors or with clients in a business. Clarity and effective communication are the key to the success of this relationship.
Amongst all kind of relationships, an affiliation of two adults with a wide age difference is challenging. However, man is known to defy this situation and many successful relationships are known to us that have come out in public and declared their love.
“My age makes him nervous and shamey, cause his eyes keep heading southwards and then back up, guilty. I can tell I can make his eyes swirl and that's just about all I want to do.”
― Andrea Portes, Hick
As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves. Mahatma Gandhi quotes
Many of us are at the metallic age - Gold in our teeth, silver in our hair - and lead in our pants. Unknown quotes
A relationship where there is a BIG AGE difference
Our Society has issues when there is a significant age difference in a couple who have an intimate relationship since; they feel that the person is in for sex or for money.
There are many challenges when two individuals are in such a relationship, and they have to learn to deal with negative attention and absorb judgmental comments from the society. These kinds of comments should not deter their relationship, and they should have no doubts between each other. Showing their love and compassion in public will gradually inhibit the society from making nasty comments and learn to accept them.
Challenges amongst them as a couple
A couple, which has a significant age difference, will have to discuss some issues between them that arise such as:
- Views on different aspect could also be an issue since there is an immense mental age gap. Try to come to a mutual understanding and be tolerant to each others' thoughts. Technically life would be thrilling for them since they are exposed to different approaches to tackle a single problem. Each day would be a learning experience for the couple if they are open to suggestions and absorb it well with no egos attached.
- Having children and thinking of alternatives about their upbringing if the aged partner passes away. Since Aging cannot be reversed finding, a solution would be wise; if the issue crops up, the other partner is strong on dealing with it and does not get flustered.
We are innovative and rare species, but we need each other’s company to pace each day, however; choice is ours to make, what name we give to each relationship we develop with each person we meet.
Every alliance has some ground rules for its success. We have to be aware of adjectives such as Honesty, Trust, Loyalty, and communication and we have to learn to Give first and then expect anything back from the person in any of the above relationships. That is the solid foundation for any kind of relationship to succeed.