- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
How to Improve Communication in a Relationship
How to Fix Lack of Communication in a Relationship
Looking for a way to improve your relationship with your girlfriend? So, you're here, you've made it. No longer wading through women in the gauntlet of dating. Dating dynamics aren't too different from the relationship paradigm, but there are subtle variations. Many women who are in relationships don't realize that men desperately want the same things out of a relationship.
However, men and women do not concur on how to approach and attain what they want. Most relationships that are failing are mainly due to poor or total miscommunication. There are many factors that contribute to a relationship's success. Most if not all successful relationships share three main components--the most important among the three, "communication".
How often do you argue and fight with your partner?
How to Improve the Relationship
Let's be honest, generally, men aren't the best representatives when it comes to communicating in a relationship. But in my experience with happy and productive relationships, the one factor that made most of the difference was clear and concise communication.
There's just no getting around this, if the woman you're going steady with isn't receptive to your methods and patterns of communication, it's most likely a doomed union. Here are some signs that you're in a relationship with a woman you're not able to effectively communicate with:
- If you both can't sit down and speak calmly to one another.
- If you can't have a heated debate without it turning into a shouting match.
- If you do not have many overlapping areas of passion or interest for conversation.
- If you feel the continual need to not share your thoughts or feelings.
- If you avoid or limit any actual conversations, mainly pertaining to the relationship.
- Lack of things to talk about, due to no overlapping areas of similar interest.
If you're experiencing any combination of these social symptoms, but still feel she is the "right one" for you, there are some things you can do to improve the communication skills between you and your significant other. But my first suggestion would be to really be honest with yourself and the current relationship you're in. It's hard for most men to admit that they're in a toxic relationship.
Improving Your Communication Skills in Relationships
Learn to listen, don't be so quick to write off another person's opinions or feelings. Go a step further by repeating a bit of what your partner just spoke about, this is called "reflection". When your partner feels that you're actually hearing and listening to what they have to say, they'll feel more validated and more open to your feedback.
If you're truly interested in communicating better with your partner, you'll learn to listen and be more attentive to her feelings. Many men in committed relationships take their wife or girlfriend for granted. Not showing and being vocal of your appreciation for them leads to a more disconnected state and possibly more resentment. Here are few tips on being a better listener:
- Try not to interrupt her, if there's something you want to say, wait for her to pause.
- Be mindful of your body language, a woman can easily detect if you're distracted.
- Show genuine interest in the subject she's talking about, don't fake it.
- When you give her feedback, don't be judgmental, avoid this at all cost.
- Never get into shouting matches, learn to compromise and agree to disagree.
Questions to Improve Your Relationship
A healthy and worthwhile relationship should be open and honest. Isn't that the whole point of sharing your life with someone? If you feel the need to hold something back from her, that isn't the best sign. Little deceptions will inevitably lead to much bigger deceptions and more detrimental, deceptive behavior.
A relationship built on a foundation of fallacies and miscommunication will not endure for long, no matter how much effort you invest into it. Another way to improve your communication is to voice your appreciation for your significant other. If she is an important part of your life, you need to voice it every now and then, women like to hear it as much as they like to see or feel it.
How Important is Sense of Humor in a Relationship
Another quality of happy couples with longevity is being able to be amused by the same things, including being able to laugh at each other and themselves. Happiness in a relationship is synonymous with a consistent amount of laughter that permeates nearly every aspect of the relationship.
Many psychotherapists concur that when a couple no longer exhibits the sharing of laughter, they are headed for an inevitable end. It's not hard to surmise why this is. Because life, for the most part, should be fun, filled with adventures with someone you can envision laughing the rest of your life with. Here are some signs that you possess a different sense of humor:
- If you're watching a movie or a television show, and you laugh at different moments in the movie/show. One of the biggest turn-offs for me personally is when a woman laughs hysterically at something that I thought was just dumb.
- When you only offend one another when you put each other under comical scrutiny. As aforementioned, when a couple fails to laugh at one another, there's no release valve for stress and tension.
- When you're attempting to be humorous(a joke, a prank, a snide comment) and she genuinely thinks it is not funny, maybe even inappropriate.
If you know for a fact that you both possess a different sense of humor, it's not the end of the world. But a couple that doesn't laugh together often, can put a serious strain on the relationship. Laughter is like a release valve, helping to ease tension by not letting it build up. Most men and women will need the challenge to stay interested, find a way to incorporate humor while doing that, it can do wonders.
Having Mutual Respect in a Relationship
If there is no mutual respect, possessed or shown between you and your girlfriend--it is a telltale sign of incompatibility. I hate to sound and appear pessimistic because I've been conditioned in my life to be an optimist. But when it comes to relationships, you have to approach the matter with a considerable amount of realism and maturity.
If you're constantly miserable with a woman you have no joy being around, what is the point? Additionally, you should treat your wife or girlfriend as an individual. I've seen lots of men in committed relationships crash and burn because they feel they can arbitrarily make decisions on their significant others behalf.
If you're mulling over a big decision, consult her, if you're out to dinner, make suggestions but don't order for her, also if there's a group discussion, don't speak for her, women hate that quality in men. Respect for a girlfriend's point of view, her time, and her individuality can make all the difference in the overall tone of the relationship. If you found this article useful, please feel free to share it.
How important is it to be respected in a relationship?
© 2014 Michael Kismet