How to Make a Cheap Brooch Bouquet
My Wedding Bouquet
A Closer Look...
- Batch of fake flowers (your colors and type of flower)
- 6-10 brooches (old, new, any style you like)
- Hot glue gun + glue
- A few feet of ribbon (any color or style)
- Floral tape
- Thin & thick green metal wire
A Beautiful Hand-made Bouquet
During the many months of planning my own wedding, I realized real flowers were not going to fit into our budget. Bummer, right? Not so much. Personally, I was somewhat relieved that I would not have to spend hundreds of dollars of something that wouldn't last. At the same time, I knew I would be making bouquets for myself, my maid of honor, and my bridesmaids...Whoa! So, I saw some pictures of brooch-accented bouquets on Pinterest and decided I had to do that.
First, where did I find cheap fake flowers? Dollar stores! The stores actually had a large selection of fake flowers. Each stem had about 4-5 flowers on it and they were $1 each. I bought 8 (4 red, 4 white) sets of flowers. Okay, so now I had a basic bouquet. I also bought more for my girls.
Next, I got on eBay and Amazon to look for brooches that I thought would go great with my colors (white, red, black) and style. I (and my family) found a couple batches on these sites and also some in craft stores. The prices vary, so just work with your budget. I believe I used around 10 brooches in my bouquet.
Now the hard part!
- Put your flowers together the way you like and use floral tape to hold together.
- Start wrapping the thin wire around your brooches in a way that is not very noticeable. Then use a thicker wire as a stem for the brooch and use thin wire to attach to thick wire. It should look like a brooch flower.
- Insert brooches where you would like them in the bouquet. At first they will move and wiggle...
- Once you like the placement, hot glue the brooches to other stems and flowers. If you do this correctly, no one should notice the hot glue.
- Add any tiny decorations with more hot glue...Let dry!
- Wrap the stem of your bouquet with the ribbon of your choice. And then hot glue it.
- You're done - Enjoy!
I also used small red beads and tiny black bows in my bouquet. I just hot glued them to different flowers. I think it looks really pretty and I am really happy with this project. I did the same thing for my maid of honor and my bridesmaids.
Another Pinterest Possibility, a hand-made bouquet that will last for years to come - check!