- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
How to Quickly Plan a Wedding
Rushing to the Altar?
Quick Wedding Planning Guide
A wedding is a wonderful, happy event.
That's the end result. What comes before that day is a lot of hard work, most of which goes on behind the scenes.
Most people spend a year or more planning a wedding.
But you're different aren't you? You want to get married now!
Can you have a beautiful wedding in six months or less? Yes, you can, but it takes dedication, time management, and organizing your priorities.
Think a month is not long enough to plan a great wedding? I have helped plan a beautiful wedding in just a week, so, yes, it can be done.
The important thing to do for having a great wedding quickly is start planning as soon as you say yes.
How to Plan a Wedding Fast: The Condensed Version
Deciding a Wedding Budget
The first steps to planning a quickie wedding isn't too much different from planning a wedding that's a year away.
First you need to decide your budget. You can have a lovely wedding with very little money. However, if you're not careful, you can quickly blow your budget.
Decide what is the absolute highest number you're willing to spend. Then allocate how much out of that number you are willing to pay for your dress, decorations, food, and so on.
It's sometimes easier to write down your priorities. List your desires in order of importance, from what you absolutely can't live without to things you're okay with leaving out.
Now it's on to the next steps in planning your beautiful, quick wedding.
Quick Wedding Tips
- Have a friend that's good at organizing or decorating? Ask them to be your wedding planner. After the wedding, be sure to give them a small gift to thank them for their hard work.
A Quickie Wedding Checklist
- You can't have a wedding if you don't have a license. Apply for your marriage license as soon as you decide to get married. Some states have waiting periods, so be sure to have all the necessary paperwork done and filed now.
- Set a date for your wedding and stick to it. It will be hard for guests from out of town to attend your wedding if you keep waffling on the date.
- Ask a friend to help you plan your wedding. Planning a wedding quickly is difficult, so you'll need the extra help.
- Find and buy your wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses. If you are unable to find anything, many bridal shops will rent wedding and bridesmaid's dresses.
- Decide on your wedding colors and buy simple decorations.
- Decide what you will serve at the wedding reception. Reserve catering now. If not in your budget or a caterer isn't available, ask friends and family to bring a dish.
Where to Start: Plan the Basics of Your Wedding
Decide your wedding colors, what everyone will be wearing, where you want to have your wedding, what food will be served, if any, and the time.
It's important to make a decision on the wedding party's attire now. Wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses can be found quickly if you know where to look.
Do not go to a bridal shop expecting to buy something off the rack. Normally, formal attire is ordered and can take three to four months to arrive. To be sure you will have a gown and bridesmaid dresses, ask if your bridal shop offers rentals.
Order the men's tuxes now. Even better, have the men wear suits. A reasonably priced suit can be bought at department stores such as JC Penney if the groom or groomsmen don't own a suit.
Again, once you make decisions, stick to them and don't change your mind. Time is short, and if you keep changing your mind, you won't have a nice wedding.
Quick Wedding Tips
- Stores such as David's Bridal do have seasonal sales where you can walk out with your purchase. The bride whose wedding I helped get together in a week bought a $700 wedding dress for $99.
Where Do I Want To Have My Wedding Ceremony?
This decision is critical in the early stages of planning a quickie wedding. Do I want to have my wedding inside or outside? Is there a venue available for my ceremony?
There are advantages and disadvantages of where you choose to have your wedding. If you opt for an outdoor wedding, decorating will be much simpler, saving you time and money.
If a church wedding is something you desire, check with your church as soon as possible to be sure the church is available.
Not a member of a church? Ask friends if they would be willing to inquire if their churches are available to use.
Other venues such as women's clubs, country clubs, and other civic buildings are options to host your wedding.
And, if all else fails, have the wedding at your home or a friend or relative's home. It will be free and convenient.
Quick Wedding Tips
- To give yourself more time to plan your dream wedding, consider going to the courthouse and getting married now. You'll have more time to plan your wedding, and you can leave for your honeymoon now!
Where Can I Have My Wedding Reception For Cheap?
Next you need to decide where you would like to have your wedding reception. A lot of wedding venues are expensive, especially if you book it at the last minute.
Many churches have fellowship halls. If you're having a church wedding, ask the church secretary if you can have your reception at the church.
Another good alternative is ask a friend or relative if they would host your reception at their home. This is a good option if your wedding will be small.
Decide whether you want to have finger food or an all out meal. Either way can be simple and cheap if your friends are willing to help, so ask your friends and family to each bring a dish or finger food.
Alternatively, order party trays from grocery stores or restaurants. Order a sub platter, a chicken nugget platter, cheesecake platter, etc. to serve at your reception.
Quick and Easy Wedding Decorations
The key to decorating when you're short on time is keeping it simple.
This look was created by renting pillars from our local florist and buying 10 yards of fabric in the bride's colors and draping it so it created a canopy.
Another great decorating idea is to use a garden lawn arch and drape it with fabric or lace, or decorate it with flowers.
Look through wedding magazines and the web and find something you like that could be easy and quick to recreate. If you're not crafty, ask your crafty friends for help.
How To Decorate a Wedding Arch Cheap
Don't Forget to Say Thank You
Planning a wedding quickly can be hectic, but if done right it can be beautiful and well worth the trouble.
Don't forget to thank your friends and family for making your big day a reality so quick. It would be appropriate if you bought them a small gift to show them how much you appreciate them.
If you're short on cash, invite them over for dinner after you are settled, or offer to do something for them. They will love any way you choose to say thank you.