- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
How to Save Money When Wedding Planning
So you have decided to get married, Congratulations!!! You are now starting to plan for that big day. The average cost of a wedding is just under $30,000. Sounds like a lot of money maybe too much money for you to handle right now. Well there are many ways to cut costs and here are a few.
Guest List -
Trim your guest list down this will help to save the costs on the catering and on the number of tables you have to decorate. You can make choices not to invite people you haven't talked to in a few years, people from work. To help slim down the guest list it is important to not feel obligated to invite everyone from your work or to let single people to bring a date. Trimming your least by just 20 people or more can help save hundreds of dollars. Try to keep your list intimate with your closest friends and family.
Wedding Party -
Try limiting the bridesmaids and the wedding party keeping it small will help to reduce unnecessary expenses.
Try and stay away from wedding boutiques or stores to buy your dress, you can save hundreds of dollars looking at alternatives.
- EBay, Craigslist and the Internet are a great way to find a slightly used wedding dresses and a great price.
- Rentals are another option and can be hundreds of dollars less than going to a boutique and buying a dress.
- Sales Rack for dresses that are not in style or for dress shops that want to get rid of their stock on hand for newer dresses can help you to save money as well.
- Sample Sales happen once a year and are a great way to get designer dresses for hundreds less.
- Off Days such as weekdays or Sundays (especially mornings and afternoons) are usually less expensive than the more popular Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Off Seasons such as winter instead of spring or summer are less costly as well so timing can be the key to saving money.
- Disposable Cameras can save on photography by providing guests with disposable cameras to get the very candid shots of your wedding. You will be amazed by the pictures your guests will take.
- College Photography Students can also help to save money. Going to the college professor for the list of their best students will help to find who might work best for your occasion.
Decorations can be extremely expensive especially when talking about flowers. Try alternatives and go for simplicity when decorating. If you have enough time you can grow your own flowers. Also using candles and balloons can help to fill up a room. Also recruit your crafty friends to help with decoration ideas to help to limit the cost. If you start early you can get wedding decorations here and there and save them for the big day.
Gathering your own music together and/or renting a stereo system and hiring an up and coming DJ or a music student can help to cut your costs. Music students can also provide other forms of music such as instrumentals and even in some cases bands or ensembles at an inexpensive price.
Food and Drink -
Simple changes in wedding planning can help to lower the costs, having a brunch instead of dinner time wedding will help to save on food. Keep the menu light and if at all possible make your own food or have your friends help with making the food. If going with a caterer ask them for their least expensive items and see if you can provide your own liquor and wine which will help to save on the costs as well.
- Save on postage by cutting out the inserts and reply cards and have guests reply by email or telephone to save money.
- Make your own invitations on the computer using a software program and invitation paper.
- Instead of having the invitations engraved have them thermographed or printed regularly which is less expensive.
Save Money -
Saving up for the wedding is just as important as saving money on the wedding. Start stashing away money towards a wedding fund. This can help with deposits and other necessities. If you start saving early enough it will be possible to pay for all or most of the wedding using what you have saved.
Ask For Help -
Ask for advice and help from your friends and family. You will be surprised at how many people will have tricks and talent that you can utilize to help you to save money.
The most important thing is to have fun and to not stress over the small stuff. The wedding is not as important as the marriage itself; yes it is part of what will hopefully be a lifetime of memories. Make sure that the bride and groom talk about what is most important for them in regards to the wedding and be ready to make sacrifices here and there. Have fun and enjoy the day by sharing with your friends and family your special day.