How to be a Good Friend
Qualities of Good Friends
Haven’t we heard the famous saying a friend in need is a friend indeed? But Friendship has much more to it. Friendship is an integral part of human existence. Though true friendships can start instantly it takes time to build and develop.
If you are wondering why you don't seem to have any good friends, you should probably have a look at the below given qualities. Good friends often come with a multitude of qualities. Given are 12 Characteristics of a Good Friend.
12 Characteristics of a Good Friend
A Good Friend...
1. Accepts you as you are: A good friend is someone who does not try to be somebody that he is not and accepts you as you are. They are also patient with you when you make mistakes and forgive you when you hurt them.
2. Is Dependable: A good friend is dependable and you can trust your friend with your secrets and know that he would not let a third person know about it. He sticks with you in good times and bad. When you ask for advice, a good friend points out the right direction.
3. Is Honest: A good friend would be honest and loyal with you. He does not break the promises that he made to you. He makes you feel safe and secure with him. He is your true critic. You will find many who falsely appreciate you and your work to remain in good books. A good friend will tell you the truth even if it's something you don't want to hear. He will point out your mistakes in private and not in front of others and also help overcome it.
4. Listens to you: A good friend always listens to you and cares about your needs and emotions. A good friend would be there always when you need to talk. When you have news to share or grievances he gives you full attention.
5. Would be there for you: A good friend would be there with you through thick and thin. Good friends don’t call up people only to request a favor. But he would be the first person to come to your aid in time of crisis. He also does not allow you to indulge in any addiction or illicit activities.
6. Gives you Space: A good friend respects your privacy. He understands that you have family, other friends and colleagues who are part of your life too and do not cling to you always. He builds trust and confidence which makes you comfortable enough to share your good and bad times with him.
7. Would be Always in touch: Good friends don’t wait for you to call you. He always makes an effort to keep in touch with you even if it is through a quick phone call or an email. He knows what's going on in your life and is interested about it. A good friend also does not avoid even if they are busy and do not ignore your phone call or mails. A good friend makes it clear that they care about you.
8. Do not bad mouth you: A good friend does not bad mouth you or talk behind your back. A good friend is a friend you can trust and won't gossip about you or try to damage your reputation. They will let you know when they're concerned and do their best to stick up for you when you're in trouble. A good friend will also apologizes when he does something wrong. He does not keep grudges.
9. Would be Happy for you: A good friend never gets jealous on your success but would be happy for you. He celebrates your success and his success with you. When you are down and needs support he would be there to support and care about you. An ideal friend has a sensitive side which would make them understand others feelings. They may not be able to read your mind, but chances are they can usually tell when you're happy, sad, excited, shocked or upset. A good friend will likely know how to lift your spirits and make your day.
10. Would be Supportive: A good friend is supportive of you and your goals. He will know what makes you tick and help you become the person you want to be. They won't try to change who you are or drag you into situations that make you uncomfortable. When you are in a situation where you need to be defended he would be right there beside you.
11. Would have Common Interests: A good friend is someone with whom you have something in common. He is fun to be with and he understands you and respects you.
12. Is Giving: Good friends give more than what is asked. When they see a need they respond before the other has a chance to ask without expecting anything in return and without anyone knowing about it. Good friends are generous with their time, money, possessions and knowledge. Best of all they have a generous spirit.
There is a saying that what you give is what you get back. The qualities you want in a friend should be the same that you are offering to someone else. How else can you expect to have good friends if you aren’t one yourself?
The A to Z of Friendship
Here is something I found on Friendship.
A Good Friend -
Accepts you as you are
Believes in "you"
Calls you just to say "HI"
Doesn't give up on you
Envisions the whole of you
Forgives your mistakes
Invites you over
Just "be" with you
Keeps you close at heart
Loves you for who you are
Makes a difference in your life
Picks you up
Quiets your fears
Raises your spirits
Says nice things about you
Tells you the truth when you need hear it
Walks beside you
Xplain things you don't understand
Yells when you won't listen and
Zaps you back to real.