- Gender and Relationships
How to get married in Jamaica – easy and affordable
A Jamaican Wedding is easy, with few requirements
Getting married in Jamaica is easy, and has fewer restrictions than some other Caribbean countries. To start with, no blood tests are required, all documentation is in English, and you only have to be in Jamaica for 24 hours prior to your wedding – provided you have previously applied for your marriage license. The cost of this license is under US$100 – usually around US$75-80.
Many other Caribbean wedding requirements are far more complicated – they require blood tests, all documentation required FOR the wedding to be officially translated, and again the wedding documentation to be officially translated back to English. As well, some destinations have a longer waiting period after arriving in the country, and other rules for the witnesses.
For these reasons, a Jamaica wedding may be an the perfect idea for your destination wedding.
A Jamaican Wedding
Requirements for a wedding in Jamaica
You will have to bring some paperwork with you. So make sure you bring the following documentation:
- Proof of citizenship - certified copy of birth certificate, which includes father's name.
- Parent's written consent if under 18 years of age.
- Proof of divorce if applicable (original certificate of divorce).
- Certified copy of death certificate for widow or widower.
- Italian nationals must notify their embassy and a certified copy of their marriage certificate forwarded to their embassy to be legalized and translated.
- French Canadians need a notarised translated copy of all documents and a photocopy of the original French documents.
My Recommended Location
Since Negril is one of the quieter locations in Jamaica, it would be my recommended location for a Jamaican wedding. With it’s long stretches of soft white sand beaches, and it’s reputation for the most beautiful city in Jamaica, you wouldn’t be disappointed if you choose Negril as your vacation destination.