Six Dating Mistakes You Can Fix
Bad dates are out there
There is an epidemic raging throughout America which has affected each of us at one time or another in our lifetime. The epidemic is awkward or bad dating.
While you may try to avoid bad dating there is something to be said for the memories of bad dates which last a lifetime. CBS has even spun a hit series, 'How I Met Your Mother' off of the premise of bad dates and the search for a soul mate.
So here it goes, here are six dating mistakes you can fix.
- Talk Is Cheap, Listening is Priceless -I hope this list helps inspire you to take up a pencil or pen and draw something each and everyday.When we go on a date we all love to talk about ourselves. It's built into our DNA. The problem is to much talking can turn a good date into a bad date very quickly especially when you begin each sentence "Well my boyfriend/girlfriend use to like...."
The key to not being in the bad date zone is to talk less and listen more. Sure you can throw in a question here or there because after all you go on dates to learn about each other but be careful of not monopolizing the time. You have two ears and one mouth use them in that ratio.
- Blind dates are an opportunity -The most challenging and ripe for falling into the bad date category is the proverbial 'blind' date. These are the dates friends guilt you into going on with people who they feel are perfect for you or worthy of you dating.
The problem is the odds of a blind date working out are marginal at best. That is unless you change your expectations if what you want out of the date.
The fix for making a blind date go from bad to good is simple-change you point of view. A blind date should be viewed as a trial run for other dates. It is a way to get some of your dating fears out of the way. Hey and maybe, just maybe you click with your blond date. Friends have know to get it right sometimes.
- Don’t Bring Along Company Unless It’s A Double Date - Two's a date but three is even better. Don't think so. Remember when you were a kid and wanted to go on a date your parents had to always chaperon the date. Remember how awkward that felt especially for guys who could never make the move and get in the first kiss. .
Well as adults you don't want to relive those awkward moments your remember from your childhood by bringing along your parents or a friend to run interference for you. The easy fix is to go it alone. If you're fearful of meeting up with someone you don't know then have someone or someones staged somewhere else close. You can't get to know someone in a crowd.
Dating is a give and take. If you only see it as “taking” you’re not getting it.— Henry Cloud
- Don't ever text or look at your cell phone - If you want a date to get off on the wrong foot take out your cell phone and start to text someone or watch a sporting event or a missed TV show during the date. Better yet if you want your date to become even more awkward post a play by play of your date on Facebook.
Luckily this is an easy fix. Put your phone away in a pocket or purse. I know it will be hard for you but it must be done not matter how the date is going.
- Check out other people - We have all been on dates before when the person you are out with starts to ogle other people of the opposite sex. Not the subtle type of ogling everyone does now and then this is the obvious ogling where in the middle of a conversation your date's eyes lock on another person and they completely ignore you.
This one is another easy fix. Keep your gaze firmly locked on your date even if you feel it is going to be one date and done. It is called having a little respect.
- Don't say I love you - "I love you", three little words which fly out of the mouth in a moment but when used have ruined many a date and promising relationship.
The fix here is simple just remember the one simple rule of saying, "I love you." Don't mention love until you're the feelings will be reciprocated.
Some Closing Thoughts on Dating
These you have it six easy fixes for some of dating's most arduous problems, Remember dating is an art form and must be handled with a lot finesse and care. The best way to avoid an bad date is to eliminate as much awkwardness as possible before the date and always remember to be yourself.
Take the awkward date quizview quiz statistics
Awkward Dating Moments
How to fix a bad date
Other articles by this author
Kids giving adults dating advice
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2014 Timothy Whitt