- Gender and Relationships»
- Singles Life
The Advantages of Being Single and Unattached
I have been married and divorced twice. At this point in my life, as I'm getting older, I am not dating or even looking. I have had some major changes in my life in the last seven years and have had to do a lot of adjusting. I haven't had the time or energy to do much of anything but just get through each day and learn how to handle all the changes. So dating has been on the back burner for a long time.
The other day a good friend of mine, who is older too, and I were talking about this. She feels much the same as I do, that we're not sure we want to even deal with the whole dating thing. Sure, we would love to have a man in our lives for various reasons, but on the other hand, we would not want some of the things that go along with it! I have become quite spoiled about being alone and therefore being able to do what I want when I want to. Do I really want to change all that? To have to go along with someone else's schedule? Not so much!
There are many reasons why I would like to have someone in my life...company when I'm lonely, someone to snuggle up to when I'm scared, someone to help me with all the daily chores, being able to share things and many others, but this is about the things I like about not being attached. So, here they are...some are selfish, some are silly, but all are satisfying.
- I can make anything I want to eat. I don't have to limit my choices because he doesn't like something.
- Speaking of eating, I can eat all the garlic I want and I love garlic!
- I'm a lifelong night owl. I don't have to go to bed early because he's an early bird.
- I don't have to shave my legs as often.
- i can wear whatever I want around the house and look less than attractive. I have always made an effort to look good when I was married or dating. Now I can wear that horrid red flannel nightgown I have!
- I can have things exactly as I want them...no having to put up with his things where I don't want them. One of me exes loved model trains and wanted them all over the place!
- No snoring...need I say more?
- I can write whenever I feel like it and not be made to feel I'm "neglecting" him.
- No ridiculous jealousy to put up with. This may be because I always seemed to be attached to control freaks, which is another problem I never want to put up with again.
- No arguing over what we watch on TV. I can watch all the silly shows I like without having to watch football for him.
- Not as much cleaning up. I don't have to scrub the ring out of the bathtub as much because it takes a long time for me alone to make one.
- I don't have to put up with his boring, obnoxious or otherwise unpleasant friends.
- I don't have to put up with his family. No more awkward dinners because his mom thinks I'm not right for her precious baby boy...who is 60!
- I don't have to worry that I may have hooked up with some psycho who might decide to do me in...I know, this one is extremely paranoid, but these days, I'm leery!
- I can cry any time I want to without him getting all uncomfortable with it...men are generally not good at dealing with crying.
Now, if someone came along that I fell head over heals for and he loved me, no matter what, and I loved him, no matter what, all this would change. But unless that happens, I'm comfortable and content being alone and unattached. To all of you that have that kind of relationship in your life, I think you are very lucky. For all the people out there like me, I hope this list inspires you to make your own. Being single can have it's advantages...enjoy your life!