ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

The Concise Steps for a K1 Visa from the Philippines

Updated on March 4, 2016

There is a ton of paperwork you need to keep as you go through all of the listed steps. Many forms and required documentation a fiance needs to provide to both the US and Philippine government embassies when they seek the K1 Visa. The visa allows the non-US citizen to go to the USA and upon arrival either get married or not to the US citizen petitioner. If there is no marriage, they simply go back home, as staying is illegal and if caught, deportation would occur. The whole process starts when a couple falls in love and the US citizen files for the K1 visa for their mate. Of course, you could get married in the Philippines, but then you would still have to go through the visa process to be together sooner or later.

Here are the concise steps:

1. US citizen files for I-129F visa ($250) application. Assuming no issues, average wait is 3 months.

2. Your I-129F Fiancé(e) petition has been approved after waiting 2-3 months. Your petitioner has already received a I-797 Notice of Action (NOA2).

3. They call NVC to get your Case Number. It is suggested to call a week after NOA2. +1 (603) 334-0700. This can take as long as 60 days.

4. You (fiancé) track your case through the Consular Electronic Application Center or CEAC. You will know if your case is already in your designated consulate in the foreign country. You’re your case is READY, schedule interview.

Go to:

5. Pay Visa fees at Bank of Philippines. Cost: 13000 peso.

6. Once you’ve paid the K1 Visa Fee, you may now schedule your appointment online at the US Travel Docs (Philippines) website.The Medical exam is at St. Lukes clinic (not hospital) in Manila only. Cost: 13000 peso. This stage can be completed in as short as one day (if you’re lucky). Normally it’s a two-day process. Waiting time is up to 1-4 weeks for appointment. Their website: prior to their visit should be done. Clinic is located at 1177 J. Bocobo Street, Ermita, Manila. They can be reached by telephone at (632) 521-0020 and (632) 521-8647. SLMCEC is open from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. It is best to arrive for your medical examination between 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. The medical exam fee is Php 11,300 for adults (15 years and older) and Php 8,600 for children (under 15 years of age).The fees must be paid in Philippine pesos.

Fiance must bring:

  • DS-260 Confirmation Form (strongly recommended).
  • Appointment letter sent by the National Visa Center or an e-mail confirmation from the Visa Information and Appointment Service.
  • Appropriate medical examination fee.
  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months)
  • Three color pictures (2 inches x 2 inches) with a white background(two are for the visa and one is for the medical report).

7. Schedule Visa interview with US Embassy in Manila. Make sure you’re already done with the Medical and all your paperwork is in order before going in to your K1 Fiancé Visa Interview. Allow 1 month wait. After interview, it takes up to 1 month for Visa approval. Once Visa is approved, you can quit job.

8. After the Visa is delivered, all intending immigrants are required to undergo the seminar at Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO). Cost: 400 peso. Better best prepared with all your documents! Do this Manila or Cebu city.


Located at: 4th Floor, K&J BDLG., #4 Don Julio Llorente St., Capitol Site, Cebu City, Philippines
Telefax: (032) 255-5253; E-mail:

9. Fly to your loved one! Get married. When in US, file for SSN card, report marriage to Philippine Consulate in USA closest to where you are. Work permit is 2 month wait.

10. After marriage in USA, file for Adjustment of Status (AOS) to conditional status from I-94. It allows you to stay for two years. Once approved, you can leave country. Cost: $1000. There is a 4-6 month wait time. Until approved, you cannot leave USA unless Advance Parole is approved. This is a special form stating the reason why you need to return home. It is usually approved but you must return. After you are here for three years, you can file for a Removal of Conditions so you can get a permanent Green card. Once you have your conditional status, you can leave the country and return without Approved Parole.

What about Kids?

Eligible dependent children can travel to the United States on a K-2 visa within a year of the issuance of the K-1 visa to the principal beneficiary even if the K-1 beneficiary has subsequently married, provided the dependent child is still unmarried and under 21 years of age at the time of K-2 issuance. Eligible dependent children must travel to the United States on a K-2 visa within a year of the issuance of the K-1 visa to the principal beneficiary. What this really means if that for most fiance's

If a dependent child of your Fiance seeks to enter the United States more than one year after your Fiance has received a K-1 visa, it will be necessary to file an immigrant visa petition for the child. All children of a K-1 beneficiary must be listed on the visa petition.If the fiance has a child not named in the petition, the U.S. consular officer must suspend action and return the K1 petition.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.