Want to Stay Friends Forever ?- 10 Potential Friendship Destroyers to Avoid
To have friends you need to be a friend
'Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words.' George Elliot
Friendship has the potential to touch the soul at its deepest point of need and desire. Friendship is not only about doing something for or with someone, but it is caring for someone, which is what every person needs.
One of the challenges of modern life with all its busyness and demands, is the scarcity of good friends. It takes time, thought and effort to build great friendships. It takes an attitude of being willing to forgive and overlook the failings of others to be a good friend.
10 Potential Friendship Destroyers
In order to not lose the good friends you have made, here's some potential pitfalls to avoid -
1. Neglect - Don't take your friends for granted. You have to work at the friendship and keep putting into the relationship in order to keep it alive and healthy and growing.
2. Gossip - Never betray a confidence. Trust takes time to build and should never be handled carelessly. Learn to be someone worthy of your friend's trust.
3. Competitive - Not a good trait in a friend. Work on being secure in yourself. It is hard work trying to be a friend to someone who is always competing to be 'better' than everyone else.
4. Sulky - People who are constantly moody are high maintenance and sometimes over time this can cause friends to drift away from you. Giving your friend 'the silent treatment' if you don't get your way is just plain immature.
5. Smothering - Don't suffocate your friend so much that they can't breathe. You need to have a life of your own and not 'need' your friend 24/7.
6. Critical - It's good to have an opinion of your own. But to express a negative critical opinion and comment on everything and everyone is rather wearying for your friends.
7. Envious - When you act jealous and let insecurities rob you of celebrating your friend's success, the friendship is weakened. Good friends should celebrate each other's successes together.
8. Forgetfulness - When you forget on a regular basis and neglect to endeavour to keep your word and be a reliable friend, the friendship can become strained.
9. Overcommitment - Be realistic, you only have so much time, money and energy to invest in any given week, so it pays to prioritize your life and make time to invest in your friendships.
10. Take - No relationship can survive long term where one party is constantly self-absorbed and doing all the taking without contributing much to the friendship. Healthy friendships are those where both friends are contributing generously to the relationship.
'My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.' Henry Ford
'Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.' Author Unknown
'The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.' Aristotle
'A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they're not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they're not so bad.' Arnold H. Glasgow
'A good friend is cheaper than therapy.' Author Unknown
'The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend.' Henry David Thoreau
'But if the while I think on thee, dear friend, all losses are restored and sorrows end.'
'One's friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human.' George Santayana
'Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer.' Author Unknown
'It takes a long time to grow an old friend.' John Leonard
Hope this was helpful. Thanks for reading my hub.