Ways women can protect themselves from being attacked or molested at times when they have to travel alone
- The first and foremost way to protect oneself, is to be aware of one’s surroundings at all the times.
- Always inform someone about where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- You should stay alert and try to stick to well-lit and well-traveled streets.
- Always avoid shortcuts through wooded areas, parking lots, or alleys, where a stalker can hide.
- Be careful when people stop you for directions or money. Always reply from a distance and never get too close .
- If you think someone is following you, switch direction or cross the street and walk towards the nearest open store, restaurant, or lighted house.
- Gut instinct, is a subconscious element, specifically found in women. If a person or place appears to make you feel uncomfortable or uneasy it is best to be avoided.
- A good knowledge of the neighborhood, and specific locations such as the nearest police station,public telephone, restaurant, stores that open till late at night are a must.
Routes of escape
- If a person confronts or attacks you , it is important that you steady yourself and stay calm as panic can disable you, and make you go numb and devoid of any thoughts of escape.
- Always keep an electronic attack alarm, or a shrill or piercing sound making device,as it will temporarily shock and disorientate the attacker, giving you enough time to escape.
- If its not available ,scream as loud as you can. if you're loud enough this can be just as effective as a personal alarm.
Safety applications in phones
- Safety apps are mobile applications built for the safety of women.
- These include sending sms, ims,email or tweets containing the location, pictures and audio snippets to close friends and police personnel.
- Self defense is very essential especially when you are stuck in a location or situation with no means of availing any sort or form of help.
- For women who do not have any form of prior self defense training its essential to remember to quickly attack his eyes first followed by his groin and once the attacker is incapacitated run as far away as possible.
- If held from behind don't struggle forward, instead throw yourself backwards to surprise your attacker or stomp on their lower leg or foot.
- It has been found that women who resist attacks and act quickly are less likely to be raped, than those who are passive. The optimum time to react is in the first 20 seconds when the body releases chemicals in the blood that help to put up a fight.