- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Weddings: Maid/Matron of Honor: How Many? Their Duties?
Maid/Matron of Honor: What You Need to Know...
The maid of honor is the bride's closest friend or relative. The matron of honor is the same, except for the fact that she's married, hence the change in title.
A divorced or widowed woman who's chosen for this position is a matron of honor, since maid refers to a woman who has never married.
Maid/Matron of Honor: Duties & Responsibilities...
* The maid/matron of honor's job is to assist the bride throughout the planning of her wedding—a friend and confidant who is willing to pitch in and help whenever the bride needs her, both emotionally and physically.
* The maid of honor is responsible to host a shower for the bride, which may be done in conjunction with the bridesmaids.
NOTE: It’s considered in poor taste, however, for the bride’s immediate family to host her shower if they are also hosting the wedding. If the bride and groom are hosting their own nuptials, it’s appropriate for either of their families to “shower” them.
* You may have two maids and/or matrons of honor.
NOTE: It is not the maid/matron of honor's responsibility to host the "bachelorette party".
Maid/Matron of Honor: Wedding Day Duties
* The maid/matron of honor usually brings an "emergency kit" to the ceremony, which includes items that the bride and her party may need. For example: bobbie pins, glue, stain remover, smelling salts, sewing kit, etc.
* The maid/matron of honor keeps the groom’s ring for the bride.
* The maid/matron of honor also signs all pertinent marriage documents as a witness.
* Before and during the ceremony, the maid/matron of honor helps to arrange the bride’s dress, veil and train.
* At the ceremony, the maid/matron of honor holds the bride’s bouquet.
*After the ceremony, the maid/matron of honor stands in the receiving line, if applicable.
* The maid/matron of honor may also toast the couple at the reception.
NOTE: The maid/matron of honor may also assist the bride in packing and preparing for her honeymoon, ensuring that she has all pertinent travel documents.