jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

what am I entitiled to as a spouse? Our house is in my husbands' name amongst ot

1. profile image42
    ksimonsenposted 7 years ago

what am I entitiled to as a spouse? Our house is in my husbands' name amongst other things

we haven't decided on who is moving out of the house, but I know that he wants it to be me.

2. profile image44
    Stephynichole0619posted 7 years ago

as a Spouse, You probably get the house. did you have any agreements before you got married and do you have children, these are All things to be considered. Also, you may be entitled to alamony. Especially if he decided to end it or cheated and makes more money than you. You Definitely need to have a Separate attorney on your side, and can probably find one that will offer a free consultation that has experience with that expertise.

3. profile image51
    meghancsmithnjposted 7 years ago

Check the laws where you live. I know in some states everything is 50-50, no matter what happened. Good luck...and I hope you saved yourself what my grandmother called her, "stocking fund!"  (Where she would stash grandpa's leftover cash, singles, twenties, etc. in an old pair of stockings and keep them in a drawer!)  Just in case...if not, start one now!

4. SweetMocha-Monroe profile image76
    SweetMocha-Monroeposted 7 years ago

It really depends on several factors. However, if you reside in a Community Property State....it really doesn't matter who name the property is in especially if it was purchased during the marriage. This is what I learned during the research of my divorce. Here's a website that should help you further:
    http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/

5. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Depending on the state/country it may vary a lot. I know that in my own divorce in Wyoming (US) my ex's house was in his name only and purchased before we even knew each other, yet as his wife I had the right to 50% of the house. I decided not to pursue that since the place was old and in horrible condition and any sale would probably result in a deficiency judgment, so I can't really say how it would have all panned out with any custody considerations, etc., though even without my name anywhere on it, the marriage itself lasting very little time (we were living together for quite a few years, but not long under the piece of paper), and my ex living in the house and I had left it, my right to it still remained.

6. padmendra profile image46
    padmendraposted 7 years ago

If you are legally  married to him, you have every right like share from the property, maintenance expenses in case of desertion by him and  full and final right on his property after his death provided you have not obtained divorce from him through  a court of law.

7. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

it depends on where you live, and if I were you, I'd get a good lawyer.

working