jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best way to tell something that will hurt their feelings?

1. davenstan profile image73
    davenstanposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to tell something that will hurt their feelings?

2. vparker profile image60
    vparkerposted 5 years ago

You have to be a prepared  for the best and the worst.  People who are worth keeping around will love you through thick and thin.

3. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 5 years ago

First, is it something that matters?  So many people waste so much time saying things that are absolutely unnecessary to say.  Check your motives.  If it is then do it respectfully.  It is less about what you have to say and more about its careful delivery...

I like to brace for shock... I have something to tell you that you are not going to like...

Good luck

4. rave1432 profile image61
    rave1432posted 5 years ago

Prepare for the worst, always prepare for the worst. Then tell them in a private place face to place. In public they would be humiliated even more if others heard and plus if people see them cry.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

If you're fairly sure that whatever you have to tell someone will hurt their feelings, I would strongly suggest you take some time to think seriously about whether it absolutely HAS to be said.
    There are varying degrees of "hurt."  If you find it necessary to make a statement that may hurt their ego, try to be clear but brief......and you might want to offer an apology for having to do it...   If you are delivering sad or disappointing news, use kindness and be supportive.   It's never a pleasant thing to have to tell someone anything that you feel with upset them.  But if it's left up to you and must be done, just remember to be gentle.

6. capncrunch profile image75
    capncrunchposted 5 years ago

I agree with Moms-Secret.  Also, what are the consequences for not saying something.  If there are no consequences for not saying anything, then it probably should not be said. 

But, if you must, you will.  Use tact.  Be straight-forward and considerate.

7. Julip Manor profile image67
    Julip Manorposted 5 years ago

Sandwich technique.......Compliment first (express genuinely) insert the comment and then finish with another positive.  Always use a sandwich.  It is easier to eat that way and a managment technique that is taught.